twitter/IM for business

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have several of my end users wishing a twitter type or IM-type program that can be used only on our network. So no outside "friends" can be added. Something that we can host on our server, or elsewhere. Of course, like anything else, if its free or cheap thats great.

Looking for recommendations from those who might have set this up already in their business environment. The ability to view logs to see that folks aren't chatting the day with with co workers is a major plus.

Comments

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I have several of my end users wishing a twitter type or IM-type program that can be used only on our network. So no outside "friends" can be added. Something that we can host on our server, or elsewhere. Of course, like anything else, if its free or cheap thats great.

Looking for recommendations from those who might have set this up already in their business environment. The ability to view logs to see that folks aren't chatting the day with with co workers is a major plus.

Microsoft Office Communicator
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OCS is definitely a good recommendation.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks, but we are migrating away from Office to Open Office.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't have to be using Microsoft Office to run OCS.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Here are a couple free options:

For IM I like Openfire: Ignite Realtime: Openfire Server

I've never used it, but Laconica is a popular twitter-like platform: Laconica
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Jabber will do what you want. Clients and servers are available for most platforms and its free.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Jabber will do what you want. Clients and servers are available for most platforms and its free.
    +1 for Jabber as an open-source alternative.

Also Twitter (I love Twitter!) and IM are two very different things, you likely would want to clarify with the users on the functionality they are looking for.
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Indeed, jabber works out pretty well. And if you run VoIP using an Asterisk server, there are a lot of nice ways you can integrate jabber into Asterisk.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    astorrs wrote: »
    Twitter (I love Twitter!)
    I never really got into Twitter. People I know that do use it, send out really pointless updates. Going to the shop for some milk. Bought my milk. Coming back. Watching TV now. Going for a shower. Going to sleep now. Woke up. Going to work now...