Options

VCB with database-type applications

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
Hello Everyone

I am curious what experiences people have had in the field with using VCB with SQL databases or exchange. We would be integrating it with backup exec 12.5. I know that there are the scripts which will freeze these types of applications, but I am a bit hesitant to commit to using this technology without at least a sampling of success stories. So, how about it?

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to clarify, are you asking if people are using VCB in conjunction with a VM that is running SQL or Exchange?
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Just to clarify, are you asking if people are using VCB in conjunction with a VM that is running SQL or Exchange?

Yes. We have several virtual servers running databases etc, and of course exchange. I would like to use the snapshot-like functionality of VCB, but don't want to stake myself on the happy-time vmware story-love.

Thanks!

John

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cnfuzzd wrote: »
    Yes. We have several virtual servers running databases etc, and of course exchange. I would like to use the snapshot-like functionality of VCB, but don't want to stake myself on the happy-time vmware story-love.
    Personally I would opt for the Exchange and SQL Agents for BEWS instead. That way you can benefit from their granular restore capabilities. With VCB you are restoring the entire machine to a specific point in time.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Personally I would opt for the Exchange and SQL Agents for BEWS instead. That way you can benefit from their granular restore capabilities. With VCB you are restoring the entire machine to a specific point in time.

Hi Astorrs

We are using those already. However, we would like a way to quickly recreate the entire virtual machine if something ever goes truly terribly wrong. We would like to be able to restore the image taken with VCB and then overlay the latest data backup on top of that. Does this plan seem sound to you?

Thanks!

John

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cnfuzzd wrote: »
    Hi Astorrs

We are using those already. However, we would like a way to quickly recreate the entire virtual machine if something ever goes truly terribly wrong. We would like to be able to restore the image taken with VCB and then overlay the latest data backup on top of that. Does this plan seem sound to you?
    That would work fine. The point I was trying to make was the difference between restoring the entire machine vs. recovering a single email/mailbox/database if it is corrupted/lost without needing to recover the entire server and extract what you want from it and merge with the newer (still running) system - that's always a huge pain in the a**.