Packet Tracer with Windows Vista

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
Is anyone else having trouble running Packet Tracer 5 on Windows Vista? I installed it on my laptop so that I can play around with it on the way to work on the train. It seems to work ok untill I try to save my work, then it crashes.

I have Vista Home Basic on my laptop. It works fine on my home PC using Win XP. Anyone else experienced this? icon_sad.gif

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not familiar with packet tracer, but can you run it as administrator? That seems to fix a lot of Vista incompatibilities. Obviously, only do this with software you trust.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Done that, it works fine until I go to save a network configuaration. I'm guessing that there must be some conflict with the way Vista sets up it's file/folder setup because other than not being able to save, it seems to work exactly the same as it does on my XP machine.

It would be really useful having it on my laptop so that I can watch CBT/Trainsignal and then try out some of the examples they give, all while sitting on a train to/from work!!! You cant do that with real lab gear!!! icon_wink.gif
  • daJwaydaJway Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What version are you using? Are you using version 5? I have windows vista on my laptop and I've had it crash on me. . . 2 or 3 times, but thats over a 3 montg period and I use it a lot. sometimes i'll just be playing around setting up devices and it will just crash on it and ask me to save the log file. It sucks, but I save the packet tracer file often just incase it ever happens agian.
    Jason
    Yes, I'm using version 5. I sometimes get that same message "save the log file..." on my XP machine, but like you it's only occasional. With Vista, it's all the time. Are there different builds of version 5 perhaps? Maybe mines an earlier one with some bugs.
  • kagekage Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and when I try to open Cisco Packet Tracer it will not load. How can I make it load?

When I go into the task manager in Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, it shows that it is running, but packet tracer is not showing on the screen. I downloaded and reinstalled it a few times and it still has the same problem.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I loaded 5.1 on Windows Vista Home Premium and it works fine.

I'll try it on Ultimate next time I get the urge to upgrade a PC to Vista.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kagekage Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kage wrote: »
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and when I try to open Cisco Packet Tracer it will not load. How can I make it load?

When I go into the task manager in Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, it shows that it is running, but packet tracer is not showing on the screen. I downloaded and reinstalled it a few times and it still has the same problem.
    I reinstalled Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and packet tracer loads fine.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have PT 5.0 running on my Vista Basic computer. It runs fine but it does crash every once in a while, so I've learned to save my projects often.
    I have PT 5.0 running on my Vista Basic computer. It runs fine but it does crash every once in a while, so I've learned to save my projects often.

This is my problem, it works fine but I can't save anything...that's when it crashes every time.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I've been using PT5 on Vista Business since it came out and I haven't run across any problems yet. ?icon_neutral.gif
    Maybe I've just got a buggy copy...I'll just have to keep running it on Win XP, works fine there.
  • Edmunds22Edmunds22 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Had this problem, grab the PT dir from program files and move it somewhere else, i put it in my docs. Someone more tech savvy can probably say whats causing it but as a quick fix its working for me, it was giving me the errors on saving. Annoying.