Free anti-spam software?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
One of our clients, which is a church, is looking for a free anti-spam solution. They run Exchange in-house. Is there an easy way to set up something like Spam Assassin to do a little sanitizing and forward the good mail on to Exchange?

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might check out Open Source Network Gateway | Untangle. has a lot of nice spam features plus lots more filtering of other types of content.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    What's wrong with the Intelligent Message Filter (IMF) built into Exchange? Sure it's not as good as a commercial product, but it's free and easy to implement.
    Good luck to all!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spam Assassin may be free, but it's a lot of work if you're a mostly MS shop.

GFI MailEssentials is $21 per mailbox, not sure if that is out of their "free" budget range.

MailWasher is a free, well known, client side Anti-spam software.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might check out Open Source Network Gateway | Untangle. has a lot of nice spam features plus lots more filtering of other types of content.

Untangle is a decent solution if you use it to scan SMTP traffic, we deployed it primarily for it's other functions and gave the POP3 spam blocker a shot but found it to be incredibly slow (10-30 seconds per message).

I've used with good success ASSP (Anti-Spam-SMTP-Proxy) and have had good luck with it as well, more info here: Stop spam with the Anti-Spam-SMTP-Proxy (ASSP)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks everyone. I'll check out Untangle, Mail Washer, and ASSP.

Hero: I'll look into that. There's no reason that hasn't been implemented (aside from me still being an Exchange noob).

Mark: I knew SA would be a hassle, which is why I asked. If it came down to that, I might just pay for GFI out of pocket and take a few days off icon_lol.gif
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    plus one for untangle.

Untangle gives you the added bonus of being able to filter viruses and spyware on the network (not just in mail), and it does firewall, CoS, routing, and IPS. I recently built a test box and put it in as a transparent gateway. Easy to use and easy on the hardware. Good for small budgets and smbs.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'll check out Untangle, Mail Washer, and ASSP.

Hero: I'll look into that. There's no reason that hasn't been implemented (aside from me still being an Exchange noob).

Mark: I knew SA would be a hassle, which is why I asked. If it came down to that, I might just pay for GFI out of pocket and take a few days off icon_lol.gif

MailEssentials also has AV Exchange agent, so honestly that's what I'd do on a budget. But if you need free, IMF works okay.

Some other options...

Endian or Astaro firewalls both offer antispam and AV protection among other features like web AV and filtering, VPN, etc.
    Good luck to all!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    MailEssentials also has AV Exchange agent, so honestly that's what I'd do on a budget. But if you need free, IMF works okay.

Some other options...

Endian or Astaro firewalls both offer antispam and AV protection among other features like web AV and filtering, VPN, etc.

I don' think Astaro is free anymore is it? Years ago it was....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sprkymrk wrote: »
    I don' think Astaro is free anymore is it? Years ago it was....

They still have a free version for personal use; I'm not sure if they'll allow non-profits to use that. All the anti-x stuff requires add-on subscriptions though, which you'd probably have to pay for either way.
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Configure Exchange to use Spamcop, Sorbs etc blocking lists. While it will not get rid of all spam, every little bit helps
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    My boss used to use the anti-spam tools on AVG which worked kinda well except when the user messed with their local settings. It's probably only good in small business environment.