Options

IOS versions & CatOS versions

I know the IOS versions run from 12.1-12.8

But what are all the version #'s for CatOS?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I know the IOS versions run from 12.1-12.8
    No. 12.4T is the latest and will become 12.5 eventually. The oldest you can get from CCO is 11.1. There are older versions obviously but CCO don't have them available for download.
    But what are all the version #'s for CatOS?
    Latest version of CatOS is 8.7(2)

Any particular reason for asking?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CatOS features are usually more reliant on hardware than what version you have

The good news is that the CCNA does not test on CatOS

Neither does the CCNP anymore

If you need to know CatOS for a job, either read up on it or buy an old switch that has CatOS on it. Almost all CatOS switches are beasts, so you might want to shop locally to save on the freight charges.
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    reason is , at my job we monitor LANS so I log into alot of switches every day. About half of them are CatOS, but my understanding is that ALL Cisco Routers run by IOS.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    reason is , at my job we monitor LANS so I log into alot of switches every day. About half of them are CatOS, but my understanding is that ALL Cisco Routers run by IOS.

Read up on your history bud

CatOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□

Some of the new bigger switches can do both IOS or CatOS, but a lot of the older ones will still only run CatOS.

Honestly though just play around with it to learn the commands; the ? still works. Also show commands are very similar and the command you will use the most will be set.

I was thrown into an environment where there was a TON of different vendor hardware right after coming out of college and being taught pure Cisco. Learning the new stuff wasn't that hard since every hardware vendor we use (Cisco, Alcatel, Nortel, Extreme, et. al.) support the ?. Just beat the ? key to death and you should be fine.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.