BOOKS besides 70-290 Self Paced?

calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi gang.
Studying for 70-290 as part of my overall plan for world domination. (also includes getting the MCSA, the CCNA and the MCSE)
I have the 70-290 Self Paced Training kit book (2nd edition). But its a pretty slim book compared to the 70-270 book. Like a 3rd of the size! I also have the box set that comes with 291,293,294 as well as the 290 book. Is this what you guys are using to pass?
Are there any other good books?
I picked up Windows server 2003 pocket consultant at a book store going out of biz sale.
I am hoping that will cover any weird questions.

I guess I am looking for a non-microsoft book. I look at my bookshelf and I see solid blue from end to end. All Microsoft press titles. (actually with the cisco stuff it is still all blue!)
I know it's a microsoft centric test, but I think I could benefit from an outsider perspective.
studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.

Comments

• amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    The book is a third and luckily the exam covers at most a third of the amount of material the 270 did. 290 was an easier test, and I found the MS Press book covered it all really well.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something by Mark Minasi would be excellent, but most certainly overkill. It's 1753 pages. Good luck. :)

Mastering Windows Server 2003
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    amp2030 wrote: »
    The book is a third and luckily the exam covers at most a third of the amount of material the 270 did. 290 was an easier test, and I found the MS Press book covered it all really well.

I hated the 70-290 MS Press book. I thought it was poorly written, poorly organized, and very clumsily written. There were plenty of typos/printing errors too and as for the estimated lesson times? Completely unrealistic.

However, I've found the MS Press books for 70-270 and 70-290 to be exceptional. :)
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I thought the MS Press for 70-290 was pretty good, but if you've looking for a different book, I like the Sybex book as well. I find the MS Press books to be more informative, but I feel that the Sybex books aren't as dry and a little easier to understand. IMO, I feel that you can't lose if you have both books icon_thumright.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    aquageek wrote: »
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"

Not on topic, but this really cracked me up...
  • DaggedDagged Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi,
    I used Sybex books and testout tool which is pretty cool and trancender which has a simulations.
    Imho ms press is to "dry" for me icon_smile.gif
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    amp2030 wrote: »
    Not on topic, but this really cracked me up...
    +1 - I thought that was hysterical too! icon_lol.gif

...and I also have to agree that the MS Press book for 290 is exceptionally dry. Not that most IT certifications books are a quick or exciting read, but this one is pretty hard to get through. I keep getting stuck with my reading, and the lesson time approximations really are quite unrealistic...I find myself either wizzing through what they say will take 60 minutes or taking an hour for what they say will take 15 minutes. Le sigh. I'm going to have to go through TestOut again to reignite my studies, and maybe I'll have to budget for a Sybex book to get through this one. I'm kicking myself for having already bought the MS Press book for 291 now, grr.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Hehe. It's funny because it's true. Poor Rooslan. icon_thumright.gif

skrpune: Don't worry, I've found the 291 mspress book much better so far. It's very clear and very friendly.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    aquageek wrote: »
    Hehe. It's funny because it's true. Poor Rooslan. icon_thumright.gif

skrpune: Don't worry, I've found the 291 mspress book much better so far. It's very clear and very friendly.
    Phew, thanks for giving me some hope! Of course, that hope is dashed by the realization that the 291 isn't called "the beast" for nothing... icon_eek.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sybex it is then. I should've known, thats the one for ccna as well. coulda tacked it on to my last amazon order. Nolo press "independent contractor taxes laws...etc" cant remember the full title.
    I think it behooves all of us to get a handle on such mundane stuff as invoicing clients and paying taxes when you dont work for anyone, you just consult. My taxes are gonna SUCK next year! Already 4 different employers and its only march!
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.