Options

640-553 Passed

jezg76jezg76 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took this exam in the AM and received a 933/1000. Here was my breakdown:
[b]
Describe the security threats facing modern network infrastructures         60%
Secure Cisco routers                                                        90%
Implement AAA on Cisco routers using local router database and external ACS 100%
Mitigate threats to Cisco routers and networks using ACLs                   100%
Implement secure network management and reporting                           100%
Mitigate common Layer 2 attacks                                             100%
Implement the Cisco IOS firewall feature set using SDM                      100%
Implement the Cisco IOS IPS feature set using SDM                           50%
Implement site-to-site VPN on Cisco Routers using SDM                       93%
[/b]

Not sure WTF the 50% is all about with IPS, but I do know there were far less questions on that subject than I thought there would be although I felt good with that topic. We'll chalk it up to the Cisco exam makers deciding they would ask me everything on IPS I wasn't prepared for. :)

Overall I felt the following prepared me very well for this exam:

* Cisco Press CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide
* Exam Cram CCNA Security
* CBTNuggets
* Cisco Press CCNP ISCW Official Exam Certification Guide
* Cisco Press CCNP Implementing Secured Converged Wide-Area Networks (ISCW 642-825) Lab Portfolio
* GNS3

Doing the ISCW portion of the CCNP definitely made this exam much more manageable. It was a review on a lot of material.

I enjoyed studying for this. First time I was exposed to Zone-Based Firewalls and a few of the security topics. Also, it really hammered in AAA, which I find really cool.

I started this in mid-December right after I went to a Security+ bootcamp, so it took me a little over 2 months to feel really prepared. Of course I did manage to watch 5 seasons of One Tree Hill DVD's during the course of this so who knows how quick I could have been ready if I would have had better focus. lol

Doing the CCNA Voice now followed by QoS. Then I'll make the decision on finish the CCIP/do the CCVP. Wish me luck!

Good luck to you folks doing this one. Know that SDM. :)
policy-map type inspect TACO
class type inspect BELL
drop log

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I am thinking about rearranging my priorities so I can take this! Gotta knock ICND2 out first....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Well done mate, cracking score.

I'm hoping to take this before then end of march, I've been studying off and on since January.

How did you find studying the IPS elements of the exam? I've found a few inconsistencies when using the IPS wizard compared to the study material, different screens, signatures not loading etc... Quite frustrating.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!