Doing side work...advice needed.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I've been thinking lately about trying to get a little bit of side work. Just doing support, pc/network repair, whatever people need done. I just need some advice. Should I just run an add in the paper for a week or two and see what happens?

I know there was another discussion on this, but when you all do other work, how much do you charge? Just need some advice. I figure if I work for myself, it will be an easy way to save some extra cash.

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Get some business cards made up, you never know when you run into a client. Run an add like you suggested, nothing works better than word of mouth. Appear in small businesses and offer services. Let us know how it goes, I'm curious.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I tried that before, with no luck. Although, I had just A+ then, I was thinking of trying again after the holidays and couple more exams.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    So what about pricing?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    all i do is side work.. i haven't had a permanent "fulltime" job in almost 2 years
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    keenon wrote:
    all i do is side work.. i haven't had a permanent "fulltime" job in almost 2 years

Making some decent money?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually have my own business registered here in the state of Oregon and I do basic computer work on the side. IE: Virus/Spyware removal, upgrades, home networking, custom PC building. I make a decent amount of money when I get calls. For example, Symantec will charge $69.95 to remove a virus over the phone, so I'll do it for $45. It's amazing how many people can't figure out how to use the Internet to solve their problems. However, I have a full time job so I don't have to rely on this.

The good side to it, is that I have my own computer parts distributor so I get my parts wholesale. They usually beat newegg by a few bucks here and there :)
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    keenon wrote:

Making some decent money?

i do pretty good.. i contract during the slower periods
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • harrisitharrisit Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    I actually have my own business registered here in the state of Oregon and I do basic computer work on the side. IE: Virus/Spyware removal, upgrades, home networking, custom PC building. I make a decent amount of money when I get calls. For example, Symantec will charge $69.95 to remove a virus over the phone, so I'll do it for $45. It's amazing how many people can't figure out how to use the Internet to solve their problems. However, I have a full time job so I don't have to rely on this.

The good side to it, is that I have my own computer parts distributor so I get my parts wholesale. They usually beat newegg by a few bucks here and there :)

how do you bill them if its over the phone?
    This is a really dumb question....but at what point to you have to start paying taxes on this type of income?
    This is a really dumb question....but at what point to you have to start paying taxes on this type of income?

When the law tells you too, untill then... icon_lol.gif
    Well, I guess what I'm asking is, when are you supposed to report it...?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    harrisit wrote:
    how do you bill them if its over the phone?

I don't do it over the phone. This is in home service. I don't do enough business to get a merchant account to charge credit cards. Keep in mind, I only do this in my local community of about 350,000 people including the surrounding areas to market to.
    Well, I guess what I'm asking is, when are you supposed to report it...?

You just do your own accounting. Quickbooks or whatever. When you file your taxes they ask you if you run your own business. I save my gas receipts and every other one I use for a tax write off. I don't make enough to end up paying on it. Although this year, I have a better full time job so I may end up paying taxes, I guess I'll find out here in a few months.
    Theres all kinds of loop holes. You can get an LLC for $50.00 & create yourself another LLC for handling accounting & pay yourself and evade taxes. Its actually pretty cool what you can get away with, invest in yourself with your investment group. :D
    The more I consider it, the more I want to startup something which could possibly lead to something more than temporary work.

At this point, my only option is to do work out of my home, but I prefer it that way. I was considering getting some business cards made up, as well as maybe paying the $20 a month for a couple months and making a decent webpage to help advertise. With only a small add in the paper, I really think this may help. What do you guys think?