CWNA in CertMag's Salary Survey

kevinatorkevinator Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
The CWNA certification makes its first showing in the annual Certification Magazine Salary Survey in solid form:

http://www.certmag.com/articles/templates/cmag_feature.asp?articleid=981&zoneid=1

Comments

• mikedeekmikedeek Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    it took me about 10 minutes to find it....but these are very off..net+ 49k..dell 50k...also the apple certs...you need the ACHDS to be a ACDT which PAYS LESS....lets see what others think
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I agree. These are not what you should expect or your limit for holding a certain cert. Its generalized. I beat them in age group pay, I think the whole idea is wrong.
  • linuxguylinuxguy Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was part of the survey. I think most\all the people recieving the online mag were invited to list there salary. I think were they probably got some error was in using one salary for multiple certs.

Example:

Some one has A+, Net+, CCNA, and MCSE and makes 65k.

that person salary is now entered individually in each certs colum, so your ccna and mcse salary is credited to an A+ cert. Follow my logic.

I say this because I do not remember them making a distingushment between my certs, it was what do you have, what do you make.
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
    linuxguy wrote:
    I was part of the survey. I think most\all the people recieving the online mag were invited to list there salary. I think were they probably got some error was in using one salary for multiple certs.

Example:

Some one has A+, Net+, CCNA, and MCSE and makes 65k.

that person salary is now entered individually in each certs colum, so your ccna and mcse salary is credited to an A+ cert. Follow my logic.

I say this because I do not remember them making a distingushment between my certs, it was what do you have, what do you make.

Exactly.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe it says on there that someone with 7 (or was it 10?) certs make about 75k a year. I actually have a brother in the IT business, with about the same amount of certifications, but making well beyond that. I definently don't believe it's accurate, but hey, it's a booster to us young people trying to get into the biz..
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    How much you make also depends upon the region of the country that you work. In the USA, people working in LA, SF, and NY will command higher salaries than people doing the equivalent jobs in smaller markets, such as Chicago, Miami, and Atlanta.

The annual salary survey in Visual Basic Programmers Journal takes regional averages into account. For example, the VB programmer making $80K/yr in Los Angeles would make only $62K/yr doing the same programming job in Denver.
    If a guy holds an A+ & CCIE & makes 120K /yr do they average his A+ as making 120k & not considering the fact he has a CCIE?
    garv221 wrote:
    If a guy holds an A+ & CCIE & makes 120K /yr do they average his A+ as making 120k & not considering the fact he has a CCIE?

If he didn't have the A+ his salary would probably be $125K/yr. icon_lol.gif
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    moagm316 wrote:
    yay so i am not going crazy studying for nothing. these certs do mean something. it is hard to explain to people but i myself am going to get as many certs as possible because the more certs you have the more money you can make.

Its not the number of certs that you have that will make you more money. It's the amount of knowledge that you have from learning the materials required to pass the certs. The certs mean nothing if you dont practice what you learn and use it to show the world what you can do. When they see what you can do, that is when you will make a lot of money.
    When they see what you can do, that is when you will make a lot of money.
    They won't be able to see what you do until they hire you. They won't hire you unless you have on your resume the experience and credentials that they are looking for and can back up what's in your resume in an interview.

And "a lot of money" is in the eye of the beholder. One man's fortune is another man's pittance.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    jdmurray wrote:
    They won't hire you unless you have on your resume the experience and credentials that they are looking for and can back up what's in your resume in an interview.

Our IT dept has been looking for a new enterprise admin for some time. We received an e-mail the other day that said that this certain person that they interviewed met all of the qualifications that they were searching for, but it was decided not to hire him because his "interpersonal style" would not fit the position. That can, of course, mean different things.

Anyone offer a cert in interpersonal style?
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Janmike wrote:

I guess its offered only in "the school of life" . Try to imagine an "Interpersonal Relation+" certificate. icon_lol.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
    janmike wrote:
    It just goes to show you that (multiple) face-to-face interviews are necessary, and that there's isn't a cert for everything.