sec+ and experience

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just was wondering if this type of work would qualify as good experience before taking the security+

I have had two internships dealilng with PC\Network Technician stuff for a total of 6 months and I have some hands on experience in a Windows Networking enviroment.

Currently, I have been working for a contract position since August dealing with various malicious code, CAN-SPAM violations, and phishing schemes.

Through out the couple months I've been getting pretty good at interpreting email headers, and analyzing various malicious files for opening backdoors and propogating email.

I've also used various open source tools (whois, nmap, nessus, grab-a-site) during some of my investigations

I know this experience is for a short amount of time, but I really have learned a lot and I think some of it would help reinforce the material that I would learn while studying security+. Do you think I should wait until I get more experience in other parts of IT?

Comments

• linuxguylinuxguy Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I woukd start studing now. Get a study guide or two and start reading, jotting down those things that you have not really done. Then invest the time to learn those thngs. In all honesty, this cert is not that much technical as it is knowledge of "best practices". It mainly test over the basic of security with info on the different kinds of attacks. By the time you finish a book or two you will have the knowledge you need, provided they are descent books. I used Syngress and it was pretty good. I would advise you to use a second book if you use that one. Others may be able to shed more kight on which books to use.

IMHO, go for it.
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    linuxguy wrote:
    I woukd start studing now. Get a study guide or two and start reading, jotting down those things that you have not really done. Then invest the time to learn those thngs. In all honesty, this cert is not that much technical as it is knowledge of "best practices". It mainly test over the basic of security with info on the different kinds of attacks. By the time you finish a book or two you will have the knowledge you need, provided they are descent books. I used Syngress and it was pretty good. I would advise you to use a second book if you use that one. Others may be able to shed more kight on which books to use.

IMHO, go for it.

4Sure. Good Luck!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I just download linux suse so I can practice some things to help reinforce what I learn. What do you guys think of that flavor of linux?
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've never used SuSe. I've used RedHat, and I honestly found it too Windows-like for my taste. I have started using Slackware and I would never change distros again.