Options

Finishing Off a Migration

At last all mailboxes have been moved and all the logs have committed and i am now at the stage of: Changing the Routing Group Master, Moving the Recipient Update Services and also moving the inbound SMTP service on isa and removing the old server name from the public folder replication and then finally removing the old server, my question is can this be done when users are using their mail? Is this something that can be in the background? and do i need to do this from the old server or new server?

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Switching mail routing will interrupt mail flow, although users can still use email, still, I'd do this after hours just in case. Removing RUS's is fine to do. Public folders, you need to make sure they've replicated their content to the Exchange 2007 server before you remove the replica, which would probably be best to do after hours to keep new items appearing in public folders to a minimum.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Thanks for the reply, can this all be done from the new server or old server or does`nt it matter? as for the replication, since it`s been replicating for some 5 weeks now and the number of items are almost the same on both servers i am confident that the replication has fininshed.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    billybob01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, can this all be done from the new server or old server or does`nt it matter? as for the replication, since it`s been replicating for some 5 weeks now and the number of items are almost the same on both servers i am confident that the replication has fininshed.

Consult Microsoft documentation. They give clear instructions on how to do all these steps.

Do not assume your public folders are synched on both servers before removing the replica on the E2K3 server. There's a way you can tell for sure (spelled out in Microsoft documentation) if they've in sync. Just because it's been five weeks, how do you know a public folder didn't sync to the E2K7 server because of an error or something? It could have been setup to synch for a year and it wouldn't have mattered.
    Good luck to all!