Options

A+ -> Net+ -> CCNA

chemasterchemaster Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed A+ and Net+ with ease and a fairly high score. However, I believe CCNA is going to take a LOT more effort. I'm not complaining but am just realizing that this class is certainly on a different level. I have purchased the following study materials for the CCNA.

- CCNA Study Guide by Sybex
- RouterSim's Study Kit with Network Visualizer 4.0 w/ questions / CertSim
- HorizonDataCom CCNA Kit w/ 2 2503 Routers, Transceivers ... etc.

I will receive all of these materials tomorrow. I guess it will be a early Christmas for me. :)

I have no hands-on experience but plan on working through the Study Guide and at the same time doing some of the labs in Visualizer 4.0 then later the actually routers. I've glanced over some study notes that I've downloaded and can't believe some people are paying lots of $$$ for a one week boot camp. I may be an old man (45) but can't believe someone can pick up this material in one week. I hope to spend a minimal of 4 to 6 months before I even think of the test.

I bought the premium study notes for Net+ here at this site and found it quite useful. Are you considering making a premium study notes for the CCNA?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    CCNA is much tougher than Net+ which is reasonable due to the fact that you have to learn more difficult skills and technologies. If you are into networking then you'll definately enjoy the experience. Your study material seems fine but i'd suggest you get some 1900 or 2600 switch. I've been studying for this test and still enjoy it despite failing my first attempt due to ignorance and overconfidence. Good luck in your endeavour. icon_thumright.gif
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    jbettsjbetts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chemaster wrote:
    I passed A+ and Net+ with ease and a fairly high score. However, I believe CCNA is going to take a LOT more effort. I'm not complaining but am just realizing that this class is certainly on a different level. I have purchased the following study materials for the CCNA.

- CCNA Study Guide by Sybex
    - RouterSim's Study Kit with Network Visualizer 4.0 w/ questions / CertSim
    - HorizonDataCom CCNA Kit w/ 2 2503 Routers, Transceivers ... etc.

I will receive all of these materials tomorrow. I guess it will be a early Christmas for me. :)

I have no hands-on experience but plan on working through the Study Guide and at the same time doing some of the labs in Visualizer 4.0 then later the actually routers. I've glanced over some study notes that I've downloaded and can't believe some people are paying lots of $$$ for a one week boot camp. I may be an old man (45) but can't believe someone can pick up this material in one week. I hope to spend a minimal of 4 to 6 months before I even think of the test.

I bought the premium study notes for Net+ here at this site and found it quite useful. Are you considering making a premium study notes for the CCNA?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't think 4-6 months is entirely necessary until you think of the test. CCNA test is half networking, half Cisco. You already have the networking half taken care of, since you have Net+. You'd be surprised what actual hands-on action with routers will do to you. As long as you read a good book, have at least 2 routers to practice with. You shouldn't take any longer than 4 months.

Good Luck