Study/take Net+ now or after 2009 release

jdandtjdandt Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have an employee who needs Net+ but I have read the exam changes soon or in April, when is it? If it's in April, Ill have him do it now considering the time and 550 to pass instead of 720. Please advise when the exam is changed to the 2009 and which Books you suggest for study, thanks!

Comments

• sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I understand the Network + 2007 exam the last day is 07/31/2009. You can take the 2009 exam now.
  • jdandtjdandt Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can someone confirm Net+ 2007 can still be taken until April 2007 or point me to a link where I can verify?

I dont want him to study the wrong material and waste his time.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    the 2007 version of the exam is available until July 31st.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Probably best to work on the new updated Network+ exam.

The best recource will probably be:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition: Michael Meyers: Books

The next best recource is probably:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Kit: (Exam: N10-004): Todd Lammle, Bill Ferguson, Toby Skandier: Books

They start coming out in May it seems. The first book listed was suppose to be out this month, but they bumped it back to June.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    Oh yeah, if he wants to still try for the old Network+ test, I'd recommend

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Kit: (Exam: N10-004): Todd Lammle, Bill Ferguson, Toby Skandier: Books

Read that book with the exam cram and it should be plenty to pass.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    I just looked over the 2009 objectives and didn't really see anything new from when I took the "2007 Edition" last year. Except for maybe 802.11n. I don't think the material has changed much, probably just revising the questions to throw off brain ****.
    They have added a few things:

-Routing protocols 1.5 and 1.6
    -A couple additions to WAN and LAN technology
    -They have added wiring distribution
    -Advanced features of a switch (spanning tree, port authentication, ect)
    -More QoS/VoIP
    -Few extra hardware tools added

These things in the new objectives were not in my older study guides and if mentioned said it was beyond the scope of Network+. But it looks like they are in there now.

But you are probably right, you can still pass studying for 2007.. probably. I studied for the 2005 version and took the 2007 version and still passed.
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    sdyess wrote: »
    From what I understand the Network + 2007 exam the last day is 07/31/2009. You can take the 2009 exam now.

CompTIA Network+® Voucher - Expiration June 30, 2009
    https://store.comptia.org/product.aspx?product=VW_NET

So is it June 30 or July 31?
  • dsjellesmadsjellesma Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am pretty sure that added in VoiP into the 2009 objectives as well
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jdandt wrote: »
    I have an employee who needs Net+ but I have read the exam changes soon or in April, when is it? If it's in April, Ill have him do it now considering the time and 550 to pass instead of 720. Please advise when the exam is changed to the 2009 and which Books you suggest for study, thanks!

icon_scratch.gifSo why isn't the 'employee' doing this leg work?

In any case, if he/she is ready, schedule the exam and take it.

Meyers or Sybex are the best for Net+ and A+ exams. There is also the PDF TechNotes on this site that many enjoy using and some say that is all they needed.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    laptop wrote: »
    CompTIA Network+® Voucher - Expiration June 30, 2009
    https://store.comptia.org/product.aspx?product=VW_NET

So is it June 30 or July 31?
    that particular voucher expires on June 30th, but there are vouchers that expire before & after that date...it has nothing to do with the objectives expiring. The 2005 objective exams will be available until July 31st.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion