What A Great Website

ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
Fortunately, I found the link to TechExams.net on another site (that has gone downhill over the last few years). All the info, none of the B.S.

Anyway, the hatchetman is making his rounds here at work again (I survived the first round), and it's time for me to get going on some more certs. I got my CCNA back in '07.

For those of you folks who have been paying attention to anything related to IT certs, in your opinion, what is the next "hot cert" to get? Maybe it's too tough to peg in this economy/market, but I'm torn between MCSA 2003 or expanding my Cisco background.

Thanks for reading, and any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are you working with now?

The MCSA isn't too prestigious either way, so if you decide to study MS, plan on going for the MCSE.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    What are you working with now?

The MCSA isn't too prestigious either way, so if you decide to study MS, plan on going for the MCSE.

Welcome to the forums :D

Thank you! Yes, I should've mentioned that. We are primarily working with Server 2003, as well as Exchange 2003. Cisco VPN's is another big thing we deal with.
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say get your CCNP if you like the networking side. If you like the system administration side, then go for the MCSE.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
    BigTex71 wrote: »
    I would say get your CCNP if you like the networking side. If you like the system administration side, then go for the MCSE.

I guess I could flip a coin. I'd like to get into VPN's, but since Cisco did away with their CSVPN track, maybe I will go towards the CCNP.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    what is the next "hot cert" to get?
    Well, if you like your job then the "hot cert" is the one that makes you more valuable and helps you keep your job when the next waves of cuts happen.

But in this economy, the "hot cert" is the one that catches your next employers eye and gets you the interview that lands you the job -- and that probably varies by the employer.

Cisco added their new CCNA Specializations -- CCNA:Voice, CCNA:Security, and CCNA:Wireless -- and I think they hit 3 popular resume buzzwords with those. CCNA:Security is probably the "easiest" of those 3.

You may want to consider adding the certifications that match your experience -- they may not be hot, but some of the people you might compete against for jobs probably will have them. So if you're racking up some good Server 2003 and Exchange Experience (and you like it) then think about joining the herd of MCSA/MCSE 2003 -- and maybe add the Messaging specialization.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You may want to consider adding the certifications that match your experience -- they may not be hot, but some of the people you might compete against for jobs probably will have them. So if you're racking up some good Server 2003 and Exchange Experience (and you like it) then think about joining the herd of MCSA/MCSE 2003 -- and maybe add the Messaging specialization.

Yep, that's exactly what I may do. I appreciate the input.
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Your CCNA will expire next year. Might as well do something like CCNA Security to new it.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    Your CCNA will expire next year. Might as well do something like CCNA Security to new it.

Agreed! Not letting your current certs expire is priority #1 imo, as long as they're still relevant to your career direction!