GNS 3 and dynamips

adriansizemoreadriansizemore Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone using GNS3 and Dynamips for their labs?
10 years Military (6 as data tech)
A.A.S Telecom/Network Technologies
CCNA
642-611
Backbone Engineer

Comments

• cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GNS3 is junk. If you are going to use an emulator take 30 minutes to learn how to use dynamips on its own without the GNS3 GUI.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I concur to some degree. GNS3 is undoubtedly more user-friendly, but also more of a burden on the CPU. Once you get the hang of dynamips (not very long at all), you can have a shortcut on your desktop, and be up and labbing in a fraction of the time as opposed to using GNS3..on my system at least. GNS3 works as promised, I'm just accustomed to Dynamips/Dynagen and highly recommend them. I like to keep things simple..sorta. Just my $.02.

As far as using Dynamips/Dynagen for labs, I love them. Obviously the biggest drawback is the lack of being able to do some switching labs, but for the CCIP that really won't matter, it seems. You can create a nice sized BGP lab and go at it...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't find much benefit to the GUI interface, but it should work well (if you have a more powerful machine to compensate for the CPU cycles & memory GNS3 sucks down) for BSCI, BGP and even MPLS.

You'll be able to do the QoS configurations, but I'm not sure how well the software/hardware queues are emulated/simulated for actually doing realistic QoS testing in your labs.

BCMSN isn't required for the CCIP, so the switching limitations in Dynamips would only affect you if you used the Composite Exam to meet the BSCI Exam requirement.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    yeah, i have found both to be helpful. I have used GNS3 for help passing the QoS exam. I was able to create every lab that is in Narbik's "Gap from CCNP to CCIE" workbook with no problems. I am also using GNS3 to help create some labs for my work to help simulate "real-world" scenarios that new people may use to help train them for what they can expect to see on the job. I have to say I am very impressed with this program and everyone I show this program to and its capabilities is simply blown away at what it can accomplish. You can even add in L3 switches through the use of the "cloud" feature which connects routers in the program to real equipment through the use of the workstations NIC. This program is a great break through product for those studying for their CCIE with a budget in mind. And that is the reason why i think we have seen a spike in the number of people acheiving their CCIE's, atleast in Routing and Switching.
  • adriansizemoreadriansizemore Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I thought GNS3 and dynamips worked together in the sense that you had to have one to use the other. I do not know how to use dynamips/dynagen without GNS3. Is there anyone here who would take the time to write about it or point me in the right direction?
    10 years Military (6 as data tech)
    A.A.S Telecom/Network Technologies
    CCNA
    642-611
    Backbone Engineer
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I finally got some time to play with dynamips and I must say it's very easy to pick up!!!

I love having it integrated with my physical lab now as well ;p

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well, i use both - just choose which one that fits my time.
    the same config written on that same .net files
    the same physical network arrangement - you can do taps or udp etc.

but, i prefer GNS since it feels much easier to create and play using localhost telnet from remote machine - so there are no significant CPU/RAM performance issue, i create about 6 routers with 64MB RAM for c3600 per ubuntu machine.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.