Options

lab vs sim

mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
Hi folks. First time poster here. Can someone please tell me if a sim, like the one from boson enough to properly train for the exam OR is buying a couple of routers and a switch so much better, that it is the preferred method?

Thanks,

Mike Young
Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.

Comments

• Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    mikeyoung wrote:
    Hi folks. First time poster here. Can someone please tell me if a sim, like the one from boson enough to properly train for the exam OR is buying a couple of routers and a switch so much better, that it is the preferred method?

Thanks,

Mike Young
    If you can afford it, the preferred method is to buy a couple of routers and a switch. There's much more you can do that way.
  • Options
    jbettsjbetts Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikeyoung wrote:

Thanks,

Mike Young

I best thing to do is by far to purchase two routers. While simulators are increasing in realism, you cannot do things such as password recovery, and certain other commands. As for what routers to choose, I recommend 2507's - reason being is they have a built-in 16 port hub inside of them, and can be used to LAN parties, etc. - and not spend all of that money for only a lab. All you need is 2 routers (again, I recommend 2507's), no swtich is necessary - but if you would like, you could include one, Serial Cable or 2 AUI connectors, and a console cable with adapter. You can easily get all parts listed on something like eBay for about $125 including shipping.
  • Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the info. I can get my hands on a couple of 1600 series for free. Do y'all think those will work??

Thanks,

Mike Young
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Depends on what type of 1600 those routers are. If you can get the ones with a serial and ethernet interface you can practice the important commands and scenarios for the exams. (plus they take up less space and look better then the 2500's ;))