server specs for WSUS

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
Folks,
I am getting ready to spec out a machine for my new project. This server will be used WSUS and machine imagies for the utility to build images that ships with Windows Server 2003.

What are nice specs for this box? Nothing to over the top, because all this machine is going to do is WSUS and maybe used as a WebSense box.

What are you running WSUS on and how does it work?

thank you,
E
Utini!

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You don't need much at all for WSUS aside from enough storage to house all the patches, but it does depend on how many machines will be using it.

Honestly, WSUS would be a great candidate for a virtual machine.
    Good luck to all!
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Just make sure you have a pretty good size hdd, you will fill one up fairly quick i have found.
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    You don't need much at all for WSUS aside from enough storage to house all the patches, but it does depend on how many machines will be using it.

Honestly, WSUS would be a great candidate for a virtual machine.
    wow... didn't even think of that, didn't know that WSUS would run nicely from a Vmachine. I was looking at deploying my solution on a single processor, with 500GB harddrive, configured with RAID 0.

Thanks for the insight.
    Utini!
    thanks gang for the feed back.

Cheers!!!
    Utini!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    e24ohm wrote: »
    configured with RAID 0
    Why would you want/need RAID 0 for WSUS?

The minimum requirements for WSUS are pretty low. If your server can handle WSUS + IIS + SQL Server all together then it'll be fine. This is assuming you're not going to use it with 10,000 clients or anything like that though.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Why would you want/need RAID 0 for WSUS?

The minimum requirements for WSUS are pretty low. If your server can handle WSUS + IIS + SQL Server all together then it'll be fine. This is assuming you're not going to use it with 10,000 clients or anything like that though.
    I just wanted to use RAID 0 to make one big drive associated with one drive letter.

Plus, I forget what microsoft calls it, but i wanted to take advantage of the utility that allows you to create a image disk, and store images of computers on the same server. Can anyone help me out with this service? I remember reading about it, but I can not remember the name, or anything close to it, because my google searches are returning nothing near what i am thinking about.

thanks.
    Utini!
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I'd opt for raid with some redundancy.
    Dustin Leefers
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    Yup. RAID 0 will make a big disk but the reliability of that virtual disk will be terrible.
    Yup. RAID 0 will make a big disk but the reliability of that virtual disk will be terrible.
    reliability in the sense of performance or from a disaster recovery standpoint?

Thank you again for your assistance.
    Utini!
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    Redundancy to safe guard the machine imagies right? I didn't even think of redundancy for WSUS. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Cheers!!!
    Utini!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I just wanted to use RAID 0 to make one big drive associated with one drive letter.

Plus, I forget what microsoft calls it, but i wanted to take advantage of the utility that allows you to create a image disk, and store images of computers on the same server. Can anyone help me out with this service? I remember reading about it, but I can not remember the name, or anything close to it, because my google searches are returning nothing near what i am thinking about.

thanks.

Windows Deployment Services
    Good luck to all!
    reliability in the sense of performance or from a disaster recovery standpoint?
    A single drive is more reliable than a RAID 0 array. If any of the your drives fail in a RAID 0 array then you lose all the data on all drives.
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Windows Deployment Services
    yeah that is it with RIS...thanks...
    Utini!
    A single drive is more reliable than a RAID 0 array. If any of the your drives fail in a RAID 0 array then you lose all the data on all drives.
    Oh, wasn't thinking about that. Good call...saved me future headaches...thanks.
    Utini!
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I have 600 machines hitting WSUS that runs on an old P4 - using less than 100 gigs of storage. It doesn't take much spec-wise.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What vendor's do you use for your servers?

Not going to take much, normally we share the physical server with a wSUS and RIS as well as any licensing servers we have.
    -Daniel