Options

PIX 501 enough?

tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
hi

i am about to do my ICND2 in few weeks time, i am hoping to do CCNA security after that, i have this PIX 501 that i have been playing with for the last 6 months, would that be any good for CCNA Security?
Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not really.... the CCNA Security covers the Router IOS Security features.

You'd want a couple of routers (or Dynamips/Dynagen) and run a 12.4(x)T IOS version to support all the features required for the exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I already have CCNA and have a lot of experience of configuring wireless routers and access points with a number of different authentication/encryption methods in live environments. I've also set up a CiscoSecure ACS server, with all devices configured to use TACACS with local logins as a fallback, access-classes on line vty's, SNMP access lists, SSH that kind of thing.

I occasionally think - hmm, maybe I could get the CCNA security and wireless down pretty easy! Depends on how much they actually cover though.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Not really.... the CCNA Security covers the Router IOS Security features.

You'd want a couple of routers (or Dynamips/Dynagen) and run a 12.4(x)T IOS version to support all the features required for the exam.

guys sorry to open an old thread up, i just though this fits the same category of my first question:

i am about to purchase a cisco 837 with a 12.4 sec, is that worth practicing on for ccna security? or even for ccnp later?
  • Options
    tndfr wrote: »
    i am about to purchase a cisco 837 with a 12.4 sec, is that worth practicing on for ccna security? or even for ccnp later?
    For CCNA Security you want 12.4(6)T or 12.4(9)T -- that T is important.

What are the specs on an 837? I think the CCNP still covers (or mentions) ADSL, so it could be useful for that (but for most people, unless they find a great deal, it isn't worth the price just for a home lab).
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    For CCNA Security you want 12.4(6)T or 12.4(9)T -- that T is important.

the image for it is c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-7d.bin, there is no T in there so i guess it is no good. it was pretty good deal actually, about $40 , £34.

thank you for clarifying that, i completely forgot about the "enterprise" feature on the ios image.
  • Options
    You'd still be able to do a lot, but you wouldn't be able to do that new zone based firewall stuff.