Options

Anyone still using 5.5?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I can appreciate we need to learn upgrading from Exchange 5.5 for the 284 exam; it makes logical sense. Just wondering how relevant this knowledge is in the real world now. I hate to think there are companies out there still running under Windows NT, here in Australia anyway.
I'll learn it to pass the exam; other than that it's a complete waste of time learning obsolete procedures.
Anyone come across 5.5 still in production?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Haven't seen it for about 2 years. A lot of 5.5 was on NT4 and most people have had to retire those servers due to age so they upgraded to Exchange 2000 or (usually) 2003.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's Exchange 5.5?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I can appreciate we need to learn upgrading from Exchange 5.5 for the 284 exam; it makes logical sense. Just wondering how relevant this knowledge is in the real world now. I hate to think there are companies out there still running under Windows NT, here in Australia anyway.
    I'll learn it to pass the exam; other than that it's a complete waste of time learning obsolete procedures.
    Anyone come across 5.5 still in production?

Remarkably, I still see it from time to time. However, realize that learning an upgrade from 5.5 to 2003 is still relevant, even when you go on to learn E2K7 because the supported migration path to E2K7 from 5.5 is to upgrade to 2000/2003 first.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    royal wrote: »
    What's Exchange 5.5?

The Royal Trademark...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I heard recently that a certain small sector government agency was still using Exchange 5.5. Its scary to think that such systems still are still in production. At least upgrade to Linux email system.

But to answer your questions I have not seen a Exchange 5.5 system in at least 5 years.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No 5.5 around in the 40 or so companies I have had to deal with. But we have some Exchange 2000 companies that were upgrades. So a few legacy groups etc.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Last Exchange 5.5 I saw was at the last company that kept it around for a fax connector for some fax program that they couldn't get approval to upgrade. That was late 2006, I think they finally got rid of it last year sometime.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...