Options

going to LAB gym

rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys,

although i havent got the chance to do some lab examination - i'm just wondering how people prepares themselves to do the lab. i know its a bit early - but if some of us would share some tips and tricks for that 8 hours time then it would be a great help :)

8 hours = 480 minutes.

things i should prepare probably :
1. better lab basic requirement reading/understanding -> 10% (i have to double my time)
2. improve my layer 2 config speed -> 5% (excluded extended L2 config)
3. reshape/improve my basic IP subnetting and ip addressing config -> 5%
4. reshape/improve my dynamic routing -> 30% (excluded extended config)
5. review the whole requirement -> 35%

any comment or suggestions would be great :)

thank you.
the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.

Comments

• Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not much for ideas tonight... here's two quick thoughts

this is a great command and can really help save time:
    load merge terminal relative

this one could save time too, but load merge term rel is king ;) hehe:
    show | display set

here's something that got me once with applying policies.
    here's four commands done in order and what the config looks like after:

set export two
    = export two

set export [ two three ]
    = export [ two three ]

set export [ one two three ]
    = export [ two three one ]

delete export
    set export [ one two three ]
    = export [ one two three ]

commands like export doesn't overwrite what is already there. even if you specify a new order with [ 1 2 3 ], it still just appends the new item to the end of the existing list. be sure to double check and make sure your policies get correctly ordered.

same deal with ip addresses, it will add addresses to the interface and not overwrite the configured one.

so, get familiar with insert and rename... or just use delete and reapply the commands.
  • Options
    hi zoidberg,

thank you for that policy config reminder :)
    indeed - junos have a bit "hard to understand/configure" policy config for routing/firewalling to set.

as far as basic router operation concerned - like configure the routers (there are 8 of them if i recalled) to set up and running, do you have a general guide line for us beginners?

i was thinking like spending my 4 hours time from that 8 hours total just for basic routers setting (basic interface setting, basic ip addressing, basic routing protocols setting and the like) - so probably 30 minutes for each router to set.

and the rest 4 hours will be reduced to 3 hours - 1 hour for no idea moment :))

so the rest 3 will be reduced once more - 2 hours for review the whole setup. the last 1 hour for other reservation (like extended router/routing/interface setup).

i still cant keep up with that setup requirement - i need to shape things a lot.

btw, junipers offers a remote LAB access by invitation - if i'm not mistaken, is it true?
  • Options
    zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it's kinda hard to get into the timing without discussing the tasks and requirements... and obviously, that's something i can't go into detail on.

for things like router setup, copy/paste and time savers like load merge term relative can really help you apply your config to all routers in the network quite quickly. you can copy config snips to notepad, edit whatever you need to, then apply it to the next router.

depending on your protocols, you could try things like set interface all, disable interface fxp0 to save a bit of time, instead of explicitly listing each interface.

put neighbors with similar import/export policies into the same group in the config so that you only need to apply the policies once to the group and not each individual neighbor. keep in mind that only the most specific policy is applied.

Example:
    group bgp {
      export out-pol;
      import in-pol;
      neighbor 1.1.1.1;      # uses out-pol and in-pol
      neighbor 2.2.2.2 {     # uses blah and in-pol
        export blah;
      }
    }

there's a couple generic tips for you. hope it helps. all i can think of right now before bed.

as for remote labs, i almost got one once, but decided to get some california sun instead. the proctor was surprised to see me as he thought i was doing remote :) however, that was a while ago and even then it was a long shot. i don't know if that is even still an option. i know a juniper employee that is hoping to do a remote lab, but they're not giving him the option. if you can figure out how to get one, let me know as a number of my coworkers would like to try the jncip and may not be able to try otherwise.
  • Options
    hi zoidberg,
    it's kinda hard to get into the timing without discussing the tasks and requirements... and obviously, that's something i can't go into detail on.

ya. and we cant go discuss any further which againts NDA.

group policy. yup - that makes a whole lot easier to maintain any policy - and that pipe or && operator should be my priority - because sometimes i got stopped here.

and building terms instead of multiple policies for a specific action.
    as for remote labs, i almost got one once, but decided to get some california sun instead. the proctor was surprised to see me as he thought i was doing remote

that is the problem. i saw that page earlier this morning, but i totally forgot which juniper site that has it - because i keep search it turns out none, thats pretty weird. it requires us to fill up registration, and state that its the same cost for regular remote lab access pricing which is about USD2700 or something.

you were looking for california sun over there met your proctor?

hahahahaha .... :D