which is the best Cert on Linux?

lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
which is the best Cert on Linux for Standards and cyclelife of certification?
LPI, RHCE, SAIR, UBUNTU or LINUX+

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Please elaborate on what you mean by "best Cert on Linux for Standards and cyclelife of certification".
  • lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please elaborate on what you mean by "with a high or a lot demand in the market , i dont want spend my time in a certification without demand.Cert on Linux for Standards and cyclelife of certification".

Also... some body tellme " Linux is Linux" is not matter the Flavor.
    In MS Windows not work like that...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aside from the Linux+ as a beginner cert, I think you're going to want to go for the RHCE if you're serious about Linux. I don't think the others have the recognition to make them worthwhile.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I think the market would agree that Red Hat certifications are most in demand.

RHCT (Red Hat Certified Technician) - is the culmination of an entry-level linux course plus a second-level linux course.
    RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) - is the culmination of the previous plus an additional third-level course.

There are further Red Hat certifications down the line, but these are the most popular and the easiest to achieve.

"Linux is Linux" is much like saying a person is a person...we may look different on the outside, but we all have the same organs and bones that allow us to live and breathe. Different Linux distributions are usually very similar in the fundamental things that make it Linux.

All of this doesn't really matter if you know who you want to work for and what Linux distribution they'll use. In that case, you find out what they're using and learn it over all others.
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    I've always leaned towards taking lpi certifications, because I dont like vendor specific certs except for Cisco...

Still Red hat certifications are the only ones I know that have a lab part involved, right??

Should I change my mind about taking lpi certs and go for RH certs?
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With LPI you will learn a good deal more in comparison to Linux+....why not take LPI 1 (and maybe even 2) and use those as stepping stones for the RHCE?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually like the way LPI is setup. I just don't think it has the recognition of the RHCE.
  • lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linux REDHAT is the best Certification on the market with high Demmand.
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I plan to start studying Linux in a few months. I am really a novice when it comes to Linux, don't know much about anything icon_lol.gif. I am wondering which cert I should start off studying for. I desire to start with LPI, but I don't know the level of difficulty of this material. Should I start off studying for Linux+ instead?
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    I plan to start studying Linux in a few months. I am really a novice when it comes to Linux, don't know much about anything icon_lol.gif. I am wondering which cert I should start off studying for. I desire to start with LPI, but I don't know the level of difficulty of this material. Should I start off studying for Linux+ instead?

you can start with anything, Linux+ or LPI.

and you don't have to start with certifications, because the weight on experience is much more in the *NIX area in general. So you can get any Linux administration book from amazon, and start with it. Later you can certify easily - if you get the experience ;)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

That's true. I actually have two Linux books, so I could start with those in a few months. What is the best Linux distribution to use as a learning tool? My brother has Ubuntu on his computer.

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would say that Linux+ is a good place to start for most people. I felt like I learned a LOT when going through the training material towards that particular cert, and I'm a better admin for it. I did look at LPI certifications for a while, which is probably a good road for you to choose if you're looking for the most versatile of the high-level Linux certs (LPI-3 should be the goal). The RHCE is definitely the most well-recognized Linux cert in the industry, so you have to make the choice if you want to focus on one flavor or Linux or not.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    That's true. I actually have two Linux books, so I could start with those in a few months. What is the best Linux distribution to use as a learning tool? My brother has Ubuntu on his computer.

If you are starting, it doesn't really matter what distro you go for right now, they're all the same to you right now. Choose any distro, debian or rpm doesn't matter right now. Myself I'd choose Red Hat or SuSE, most probably Red Hat as I see it deployed a lot in production.

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi jizay,
    What is the best Linux distribution to use as a learning tool?

the easy way is probably mix and match your learning distro with those 2 books you already have, if they are new books then i'm pretty sure those books will referenced any rpm-based like fedora or centos, or debian-based distro like ubuntu - because those 2 currently are the most well-documented distros.

and for the firewalling part - try to avoid using SuSE at first - because it has some weird thing to configure.
    My brother has Ubuntu on his computer.

you can start using vmware as your learning sandbox - so you dont have to break your brother machine.

HTH.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    Thanks for the info guys. I actually look forward to getting done with MCSE soon so I can play around with Linux.
    The RHCE is definitely the most well-recognized Linux cert in the industry

I can definitely see why! I just found out that it's a 5 hour hands on test! That's a cert that holds weight.

Thanks for the info guys. I actually look forward to getting done with MCSE soon so I can play around with Linux.

I can definitely see why! I just found out that it's a 5 hour hands on test! That's a cert that holds weight.

And I have seen people getting job offers right after passing RHCE, so it does have weight