Certification Plans for 2009

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welllllllllllll, unfortunately my plans changed late in the year, so I need to rollover some 08 stuff to 09:

1. Finish my damn MCSE (2 exams left)
    2. CCNA (or at least CCENT)
    3. Some sort of VMWare knowledge/training (we'll see where it goes)
    4. MCTIP: EA (merely for fun at this point; looking forward to the new Server 08 track)
    5. Expand on my lab and improve it as well. (more equip, more setup, more fun, more etc icon_lol.gif )

NON-IT goals
    1. Fix up my house (some little here and there projects)
    2. Hit the gym again (got lazy towards the end of the year)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    My plans subject to change at any time :)

CEH - Mayish
    Master C/Perl/Python
    Begin my CCNP - sometime after above two

With work and my masters I never know if all of those will get complete or not...
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I plan on getting these done before the end of the second semester.

1: Security+
    2: CCENT
    3: MCP
    4: First Aid
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    I want to finish my 291 in january/feb. them maybe get my mcdst upgraded (that shouldnt take long). Then get a CCA in xenapp 5.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    CCDA - 01/09
    CCNA Security 03/09
    CCDP Completion 06/09
    Start on an Microsoft track - but not sure where to begin
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will aim to get the CCNP/DP in 2009, rough timescales as below;

BSCI - February
    ISCW - May (tie this in with a VPN project I'll be working on)
    BCMSN - August
    ONT - October
    ARCH - December

It'll be good going if I can knock those out in 2009, but I'm pretty sure I can do it.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Cool to see everyone has some set goals. I know you'll all do well!

As for me, I'm looking at taking 6 of the remaining 8 of my MBA courses in 2009.

For certs, I'm looking to fill out the areas I'm lacking in that can help me be more of a serious candidate for a position requiring a master's degree. I'm going for a bit of Security Architecture, Project Management, System/Network Design, Storage Fundamentals, and possibly ITIL Foundation. I doubt I'll make all of this unless I get to attend classes, but I'm going to try.

The specific certs:
    CEH (Early January)
    CAPM (Late January, I have training in PM, just need to read the PMBOK)
    RHCE (Will be taking the course and the exam)
    CCDP (Have taken BSCI and BCMSN courses, this will round out in late 09)

Optional, if I have time:
    SNIA SCSP(Storage Fundamentals to get some footing in that area, planned for mid '09)
    ITIL v3 Foundations (mid to late 09)

After some thinking, talking, and listening...I've decided to make 2009 my year of foundations. I'm taking CCDP off my map for 2009 and will replace it with the SNIA SCSP and ITIL v3 Foundation certs.

I'm going to also try to read a book each on BIND, Apache, and LDAP.

Anybody else have suggestions for Foundation certifications or books that would be beneficial to overall IT management/strategy?
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Planning for the whole of 2009 is a bit ambitious for me. This is as far as I've got so far...
    January -
    Complete MCSE (293,294,297)
    Start on MCITP:EA (649)
    Febuary -
    Finshing MCITP:EA (647)
    Maybe MCITP:SA (646)
    Maybe MCSE:S (Security+... damn expensive)
    Probably ITIL Foundation
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Some good goals here (apart from dynamik who is THE machine - if I'd even thought of doing that many exams I'd come over all BSOD and explode)

As for me, finish the MCSE soon, then do the MCITP:Server Admin and Enterprise Admin (doing both, just because I wanted too) and probably CCENT (thought it'd be a good change to get back into Cisco). I'm really bad for changing my mind though so this post is literally worthless, but thanks for reading anyways :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My plans this year are to concentrate on my Bsc Honours degree (have 1 year left) but want a good mark out of it - hopefully a first but would be happy with a 2:1.

While im doing this i want to read up on some NP exams. wish i could really hit the NP but its not an option whilst i do my degree. So this is really secondary reading. Thankfully i am getting on the job experiance which is great.

So by the end of the year i want:

Bsc Honours degree (with a bloody good mark)
    at least one NP exam done (hopefully two but that maybe pushing it slightly)

Good luck everyone for this year!!! TE kicks arse!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • chrisb0975chrisb0975 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guess I'm catching this thread on the tail end but..

My '09 goals are to revamp my aging certs and add a few under my belt that I've dragged my feet on the last couple years.

End of Jan'09 : 640-822 for the CCENT
    End of Feb-09 : 70-291 to complete the MCSA 2003
    By the end of the 1st quarter have CCNA completed.

I am debating myself whether to just go and get the MCSE 2003 just to continue with the track. I've obtained it for NT 4 and Win2k what seems like a lifetime ago. Or go the route of MCITP for Server Admin. I'm starting to get involved with Server 08 more and more. I don't know much about those tracks yet.
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I lost my way for last years goals as well.

This year I will do MCSA:Security and ITIL Foundations. I hope to complete the MCSE: security by the end of the year but finances keep getting in the way.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    70-291 to upgrade my MCSA
    CCENT/CCNA
    Maybe a Server 2008 exam if time permits

I can't beleive the number of tests some people can complete in a year. Seeing this post has motivated me to step it up this year.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Missed my Cert Goals by miles last year

but hopefully will stick to my goals and make sure i cream them up

MCSE
    Sec+
    CCNP( BCSI)
    ITIL

and last but not least my Driving License certificateicon_thumright.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ISCW January 09

ONT February/March 09

(to finish ccnp track)

BGP+MPLS June 09

QOS September 09

(finish CCIP)

CCIE Written December 09???

Hopefully i will get them on first try CCIE Written probably will take longer, im not ina hurry but so far this has been my track

CCNA March 08 (of course after 4 courses in school 1 year, i was just waiting for a voucher)

BCMSN April 08 (i was in a switching team so it wasnt really a challange)

CCDA June 08 (no comments, but was a little boring not sure if i will try to get the CCDP)

BSCI October 08 (the most difficult one so far it took me an extra month)

CCNA security December 08 (i have to say its not really that hard i was expecting it to be more difficult)

right now im in the middle of ISCW and having studied for CCNA Security its making this exam a lot easier.

Good luck to you all.
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    ccda: today!! (1 hour from now)

ccdp: february

qos exam: march

mpls exam: april

bgp exam and end of CCIP: may

oh, and in between all that studying for CCIE R&S. maybe written mid year and lab end of this year/early next year.

good luck with your studies!!
  • RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hopefully pass 70-270 if nothing else. After that, I have no idea. 70-290? CCENT/CCNA? 70-621? I really have no idea ..... Right now, a job would be nice .....
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
  • ZbacoZbaco Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Brand new here and just starting along the certification path, but figure I'd put my goals out here:

Security+ (got it in January, so I'm off to a good start!)
    MCSA (hopefully by May, might be pushing it)
    Network+
    Server+
    MCSA:Security specialization

And who knows what else after that...
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Scheduling 70-290 for 2/20, will probably try to get 70-291 by the end of March but more likely mid-April.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the bump but just wondering how everyone is going? :)

My Plans are:

April MCTS (620)
    May CCA (XenApp 5 on 2K8 Server)
    June MCSA (291)
    July - November MCSE (293,294,297)
    December MCITP: EA (2 upgrade exams)

If I get all this done this year I will be very happy, as its quite alot for me. I wont be too concerned if I miss out on the MCITP:EA stuff this year. :)
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Well I took a month longer over my goals, but since the start of the year I gained my MCSE and MCITP:EA.
    I'm still looking at ITIL, but I'm going to finish my MCPD first.
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    Security+ (next week)
    MCSA
    CCNA
    MCSE
    Linux+
    Server+
    LPI 1,2 and maybe 3 or RHCE
    MCITP: Enterprise

not in that order... and of course not asap, i will take my time to really learn and understand each...
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    This will be a slow year for me with certifications... I just got my CCNA, and I will get my Project+ before the end of summer.

I have been speaking with councilors from different colleges and universities. I will be going back to school. There are a couple places around here that offer Computer Networking degree's that focus on CCNP... I am thinking that I want to take that route.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    My current plans include:

C|EH: 3/20/09 @ 12:45pm (UPDATE: PASSED!)
    GCIH: Over the summer

After that I am not sure...

Maybe I'll slow down and get some college classes out of the way while picking up something easy like Linux+ or dicker with MSCA: Security. I've also considered CCNA, but want to put that off as much as possible, even though I have a free ride (for training) if I want to get an advanced cert like CCNA: Security.

As of right now, I need to keep focused on CEH.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    C|EH: 3/20/09 @ 12:45pm
    Geez, you're probably driving to the testing center as I am writing this (your time zone depending, of course). Good luck, dude! icon_thumright.gif
  • spaatspaat Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For 2009 I hope to have:

Security+ (2 weeks from now),
    CCNP (Mid May)
    VCP (Late June)

CCIE written will hopefully be in full swing early next year.
  • kamadokamado Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thought id write mine down, so i dont have a excuse not to study :)

Plans for this year:

CCNA: Security
    Hyper-V
    CEH

I think once i have got those ill move onto CCSP, microsoft dont have anything out there that has me interested at the moment, TBH id have rather done VCP instead of Hyper-V but i cant find the course fees for VCP. I think MCITP:EA killed my interest in Microsoft exams for the time being..

Best of luck everyone..
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before the year is out:

MCSE: Security (really trying to get this done)
    CCNET
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Geesh, I must've fallen asleep for the time when this thread was active. icon_lol.gif

Let's see here. I've got a couple of goals in mind for 2009:

Finish up my MCSE -
    * 70-293 (Getting there)
    * 70-298 (Ditto)
    * 70-294

After that, hop back and forth between MCITP: Enterprise Administrator and CCNP exams -
    * BCSI (I'm getting closer)
    * 70-649 (Upgrade)
    * BCMSN
    * 70-647 (EA PRO Exam)
    * 70-620
    * ISCW (Hopefully)
    * ONT (Hopefully)

I'm also making a run through school to pick up the units I need for an Associate's degree in CIS. I'll finish by December, but I won't actually be able to do the whole graduation-thing until June of 2010. . . but, by that time, I'll be cooling my certification-jets and focusing on the transfer-degree in EECS. 2009's dedicated to wrapping up some major certs and my CIS studies, 2010 will be my major push towards more school. Now, what am I going to do with all that free time. . . icon_razz.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.