Where to now?

Hello all,

Im presenting the sec+ next week, and im already a network+, my next step is to take either to start the MCSE road or go for the CCENT then CCNA, my problem is where to start...

Should I get the CCNA firts and then start MCSE road or backwards?

Thank you for your comments!

Comments

• bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you definitely going to do both?

If so I would personally knock out and MCSA then the CCNA then go back and finish up the MCSE
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I saw myself in that same position a year ago. Figured that I would knock out CCNA first since its only 1 or 2 tests, whatever you want to do. Ended up not doing either of those,lol.
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    carboncopy wrote: »
    I saw myself in that same position a year ago. Figured that I would knock out CCNA first since its only 1 or 2 tests, whatever you want to do. Ended up not doing either of those,lol.

LOL, nah Im going to do both... is a personal goal I set myself more than 4 months ago when I started network+ which I already have and security+ which im preparing for and presenting the exam next week...
    bar182 wrote:
    Are you definitely going to do both?

If so I would personally knock out and MCSA then the CCNA then go back and finish up the MCSE

Yes I Definitely going to do both... and the road you took seems good... why did you chose to do so?
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    Any other point of view?
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bar182 wrote: »

This is the way I did it. Taking the CCNA between the MCSA and MCSE helps break up the monotony of Microsoft tests. I would recommend it.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Start with CCENT/CCNA, and then afterwards check to see what employers are looking for at that point. Once you're finished with that path, you may want to do MCSA/MCSE, or go straight to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, so check out the state of the industry at that point and see what's in demand, Server 2003 or Server 2008. There's no harm in going the MCSA/MCSE route and then upgrading, but there's no sense in going back to the Server 2003 training if you're only going to end up working with Server 2008 environments when you're done with your certs.

If I were you at this point, I'd do the following:

* CCENT
    * CCNA
    * 70-620 (The Vista exam counts towards both the MCSA/MCSE path and MCITP: EA)
    * Then decide if you want to start on Server 2003 or Server 2008 exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    i think you should break up your goals. Instead of "I'm going for MCSE and CCNA right now", think - I'm doing 70-290 or teh CCENT right now. If you're looking for work, each one of those accomplishments is a new resume and job opportunity.

I find it easier to only think about one test at a time.

FYI I would start with a MS test, or two, then do a Cisco.
  • tnelson6429tnelson6429 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is what I did....

since MCSA/MCSE are phasing out, Microsoft is going more specialized...MCITP, MCTS etc. The MCTS path is close to MCSA and I have heard it is actually replacing it. There is more details on this on the MS website of course.

My point, do your homework. Figure out specific areas of interest that you prefer and I am sure there is a cert for it, just make sure it will be current and not something you have to update real soon due to conversions. (hope that made sense)

Good luck!icon_thumright.gif

BTW....MCTS is 70-640
    I don't believe that the MCSA/MCSE is going to be irrelevant anytime soon. Companies are going to hold on to 2003 Server for at least a few more years. I believe it is a wise decision to still pursue it. You can always update your cert later on.

As far as what cert to go after next, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to follow the system admin path, go the MCSE route. If you want to follow the Network Admin path, go for the CCNA. I think you should do both too, but pick the most relevant path to your career choice first. Just my two cents.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    maumercado wrote: »
    LOL, nah Im going to do both... is a personal goal I set myself more than 4 months ago when I started network+ which I already have and security+ which im preparing for and presenting the exam next week...

haha :P I would definitely work on CCNA first.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend you go fist for CCNA and later MCSE, Right now I am doing 70-291 and my CCNA is helping me a lot with this exam. The CCNA create in you a networking mind. Just the basic.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.