ESXi minimum hardware requirements

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Has anyone tried installing ESXi on hardware other than whats recommened by vmware? I have an hp 4400 workstation with a ton of storage and was going to try it this weekend. Its a single core which from what I understand will still work. Thoughts?

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Single core is fine. The main issue is that your HD controller chipset must be supported.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Single core is fine. The main issue is that your HD controller chipset must be supported.
    And your NIC
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »

Sweet, I have an hp compaq d530 and its on the list!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    I've installed ESXi on a variety of server and non-server machines (none older than two-years) and it has worked well so far. I haven't event looked at the HCL for ESXi yet.

I have a much more difficult time with installing older guest OSes that don't like the BusLogic SCSI drivers that VMWare uses (setup always hangs at the PnP detection stage). I found a KB article that has a possible solution, but I haven't tried it yet: Connecting to a Generic SCSI Device
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I have a much more difficult time with installing older guest OSes that don't like the BusLogic SCSI drivers that VMWare uses (setup always hangs at the PnP detection stage). I found a KB article that has a possible solution, but I haven't tried it yet: Connecting to a Generic SCSI Device
    That article refers to GSX. What you're looking for is this...

Use this floppy image to add the SCSI driver during the text boot process: http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp
    astorrs wrote: »
    Use this floppy image to add the SCSI driver during the text boot process: http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp
    There doesn't seem to be any place in the Windows ME setup procedure where 3rd-party SCSI drivers can be installed. I've not been able to locate any VMWare of MS TechNet KB articles that detail how alternate hard disk drivers loaded during setup for Windows 9x or ME. Have you ever done this?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's Windows ME?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I'm sorry but I'm no longer familiar with non-NT based Windows O/S's (I prefer to deny their existance).

Now with that said, the questions been asked before and it's basically impossible to install Win9x on either SCSI or SATA. Sorry for the bad news.

Do I want to ask what the heck you're doing living in the 90's? ;)
    Is there a way to have ESXi support an EIDE disk subsystem?
    astorrs wrote: »
    Do I want to ask what the heck you're doing living in the 90's? ;)
    The 90's? I'm still working with stuff from the 80's! As long as these systems are still being used for real work I've got to test software against them. At least I don't need to care about the OSes that don't have a native network stack.
    No. You will have to use VMware Workstation or Server to test those.

You don't have to support them, you can always limit your support to the most say recent 10 years ;)

I have a number of VAX VMS systems you can test against - they have a networking stack afterall - you even get to choose between TCP/IP or DECnet! :p
    Hmmm...I do need to add OpenVMS to my collection...
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Hmmm...I do need to add OpenVMS to my collection...
    Sorry can't part with the Alpha's yet. ;)