Taking CCENT in 2 hours!!!

SporkD2SporkD2 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am scheduled in 2 hours to take my ICND1. I know subnetting like the back of my hand, just hope I do well with everything else.

I have been using Lammle book and CBTNuggets along with some army online training (skillsoft).

Being in Iraq I obviously dont have a home lab or anything which is going to hurt me, but I feel the past few months have prepared for this.

WISH ME LUCK!

Comments

• SporkD2SporkD2 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed whoooohoooo
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SporkD2 wrote: »
    passed
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    I passed whoooohoooo

Congratulations!

Can you post your study materials and times please????

thanks

Kev
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    congratz! now head down and knock over ICND2! :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    I used

CBTNuggets, Lamelle's Book, Skillsoft (Army), packettracer

I think I had 10 mins left on the test when I finished. I got a 865, there were a lot of wifi questions on mine which I wasnt totally prepared for. Subnetting is obviously a huge part. If you know your stuff though, you'll pass. My biggest tip is dont memorize answers, UNDERSTAND how subnetting works.
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    I used

CBTNuggets, Lamelle's Book, Skillsoft (Army), packettracer

I think I had 10 mins left on the test when I finished. I got a 865, there were a lot of wifi questions on mine which I wasnt totally prepared for. Subnetting is obviously a huge part. If you know your stuff though, you'll pass. My biggest tip is dont memorize answers, UNDERSTAND how subnetting works.

Sorry I no I keep asking this to people but whats your method of subnetting? Everyone has there own way.
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • runsshrunssh Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats as well. Hope to join the ranks soon.
  • spaatspaat Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed whoooohoooo

Sweet, welcome to the world of Cisco. Good luck with ICND2. It's a little more intensive and has a couple more simulations, but ICND1 sets a great foundation. I also noticed 2 or 3 questions on ICND2 that were on ICND1.
    kevin31 wrote: »
    Sorry I no I keep asking this to people but whats your method of subnetting? Everyone has there own way.

I use the method that is described in CBTNuggets. Makes sense to me and after I learned that way, i didnt see a reason to learn another way.

I just always write out the whole thing in binary and do my 2^x power rule to figure out hosts and subnets.

Hope that helps
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Took the test in Iraq? Wow talk about stress!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use the method that is described in CBTNuggets. Makes sense to me and after I learned that way, i didnt see a reason to learn another way.

I just always write out the whole thing in binary and do my 2^x power rule to figure out hosts and subnets.

Hope that helps

Learn another way! or else your wasting your time getting the cert.You need to do subnetting in your head without writing out any binary.
    This is the basics,spend some time and get it learnt properly.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • a4abta4abt Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the CCENT cert
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Congrats on the pass!
  • surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    'ave it.

Congrats Spork
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Learn another way! or else your wasting your time getting the cert.You need to do subnetting in your head without writing out any binary.
    This is the basics,spend some time and get it learnt properly.

I also use the CBT Nuggets way of subnetting, and can do it in my head in about 30 - 60 seconds. It just takes a little practice.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass, and good luck on ICND2. I'm with EdTheLad on this one, you'll want to pick up some better habits before you get too far along, you'll be thankful you did when you actually start working with networking equipment.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass, and good luck on ICND2. I'm with EdTheLad on this one, you'll want to pick up some better habits before you get too far along, you'll be thankful you did when you actually start working with networking equipment.

Well thats how I learned subnetting. I can do it pretty consistently in my head because I am practicing so much. When I said I write it out everytime, I really dont, I just take the octet that im dealing with and figure it out with pen and paper. Although, I am getting very good at identifying a mask and knowing how many subnets and users it has.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice going. I am going to sit down for mine in about 2 months.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    Well thats how I learned subnetting. I can do it pretty consistently in my head because I am practicing so much. When I said I write it out everytime, I really dont, I just take the octet that im dealing with and figure it out with pen and paper. Although, I am getting very good at identifying a mask and knowing how many subnets and users it has.

SporkD2,

Stick with whatever method you are most comfortable with. I do subnetting the way you learned it and it's second nature to me. In the very beginning yes you will use a pen and paper but before you know it you'll be subnetting in your head quickly because of repetition and constantly working with the binary method. It's like basic math, when you first learned to multiply you used a pen and paper but then you do it in your head after X amount of times.
  • runsshrunssh Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Woot! Congrats and good luck on ICND2..