Facebook

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Interesting comments from psychologist.

'A psychologist is urging people to get off Facebook and other social networking sites, and get a life instead... '

'Get off Facebook and get a life' - Yahoo! News UK

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

hey just a minute, but i need to finish this post, it'll only take......daskdlaskd ..s
    .ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

(hauled off to the institution)
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

hey just a minute, but i need to finish this post, it'll only take......daskdlaskd ..s
    .ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

icon_lol.gif hahahahah
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

.ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

icon_lol.gif beautiful! icon_lol.gif

...but seriously, Facebook has its evils but it has its good points too. It enabled me to get back in touch with family & friends, and it helps me keep in touch & keep up with the happenings of my family & friends. If all you're doing is putzing around Facebook though, THEN there's a problem! Just know when to say when and make sure to periodically get some real life human interaction and you'll be okay.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    skrpune wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif beautiful! icon_lol.gif

...but seriously, Facebook has its evils but it has its good points too. It enabled me to get back in touch with family & friends, and it helps me keep in touch & keep up with the happenings of my family & friends. If all you're doing is putzing around Facebook though, THEN there's a problem! Just know when to say when and make sure to periodically get some real life human interaction and you'll be okay.

Keeping in touch with family is cool... now if I could keep all of those idiots from high school from attempting to add me I'd be happy. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    NO!

I won't do it

you can't make me....

.ds
    a.ssd
    d.a
    ad

lol i needed that
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They said the same thing, we should get of the internet and goto library, talk to real people instead chat online. Not sure about other IT guys, but as I travel around the U.S and sometime international. Facebook and other online social network provided a great way to keep them in contact and maintain good friendship or partnership...

Just throw away those article and drag to the Recycle Bin. Amen...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Facebook is a great way of keeping in touch with old friends etc. I mainly use it on my phone when I'm bored.
    Dustin Leefers
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    phantasm wrote: »
    Keeping in touch with family is cool... now if I could keep all of those idiots from high school from attempting to add me I'd be happy. lol.

I just checked and i have 34 friend requests. Trust me im not that popular i just dont add people. It probably doesnt help that i pretty much hate fb, myspace, etc......
  • DaBeginnerDaBeginner Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the fact that facebook is awesome if you want to find family and friends to keep in touch with that you never want to talk to on the phone but maintain a good superficial relationship where you can also add them as friends so that you can spy in on all their friends and other family members and see their status, their pictures, what their family looks like, their likes and all that stuff...(yeah, stalker!)

You should get a life if you fit one of these following categories:

1. If you are the guy that is POKING ME, stop it!
    2. If you are the freak who wants to KIDNAP ME, get off! My family doesn't have any money!
    3. If you are the person telling me to take the "5 of your friends are smarter than you, so see how you compare IQ quiz", realize that some of us plain and simply DON'T CARE! I'll be dumber!
    4. If you are the lonely human who started this group: "If 1 million people join this i will get the facebook logo as a tattoo" (-seriously, this is a real facebook group! -he is about 952,000 members shy still), then you need to go join Myspace where the teenie boppers who have nothing to do might care to join your group.
    5. If you are sending me a "message with roses" (weirdo), look at your inbox for a "message with a suicide bomber" and open it!

So yeah, I love facebook :o)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That kind of reminds me of something I saw on the IEEE site a while back: This is Your Brain on Google. Apparently, things like computers, TV, and video games change the brain functions in the frontal lobe. While our ability to pay attention to multiple sources of information at once goes up, our ability to interact socially goes down.

Oddly enough, I'm fine with that. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    That looks pretty good. I just picked up the e-book. BTW, I posted the article on FB and got tons of comments on it already. LOL! I'm going to have fun with this. ;)
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Got invited onto it by the mrs so to show willing and that I wasn't a total geek I joined up. Ever since then it has just been SPAM SPAM SPAM by friends (not mine), family and people I have no clue who they are.....

Once I figured out how to ignore it got a lot better.

Seem to me to be a load of people with bugger all else to do than sit in their little rooms at night writing messages to each other.
    For instance
    X is leaving work after a tired day.
    X is just arrived home after heavy traffic
    X is now finished dinner and on computer for the night

I mean ... jevus... !!! I know I am sad and sit up in my room studying and playing with my lab but surely I am not that pathetic !

Anyone with loads and loads of friends needs to get out more in my book.
    Kam.
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Turgon wrote: »
    'A psychologist is urging people to get off Facebook and other social networking sites, and get a life instead... '
    That's what they used to say about D&D.
    Although I have to say that anything that makes you more accessible to more people can't be good.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
    Something for the socially-interactive in all of us: How to Tweet Your Way Out of a Job

Very reminiscent of the old stories about people being fired for what they posted on MySpace and Facebook about their employers. Hell, if this is a sign of the intelligence-level inspired by social networking, then I say that first link is right. Stop posting on Facebook, Twitter, in chatrooms, message boards. . . err. . . wait a minute. . . icon_lol.gif

• loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    What is twitter? Or tweeting? LOL. Sounds weird, I thought it was like changing your status on facebook or something?

I don't get people who have to change every detail about their life in the status updates on facebook. Like "I am going to the bathroom". 2 minutes later. "I am back from the bathroom." In fact people that even change their status on facebook spend too much time on facebook and just want attention I would guess.
    Can someone give me the URL for the Facebook profile pictures?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    loxleynew wrote: »
    What is twitter? Or tweeting? LOL. Sounds weird, I thought it was like changing your status on facebook or something?

I don't get people who have to change every detail about their life in the status updates on facebook. Like "I am going to the bathroom". 2 minutes later. "I am back from the bathroom." In fact people that even change their status on facebook spend too much time on facebook and just want attention I would guess.
    If you thought Facebook statuses were bad then don't ever go look at Twitter. There is a Penny Arcade comic regarding this. It sounds a little harsh but most people just aren't interesting enough to warrant a blog or twitter feed.
    Can someone give me the URL for the Facebook profile pictures?
    Not sure I understand what you're asking for...
    Not sure I understand what you're asking for...

right click > properties on the profile pictures > url

All the other pictures in Facebook show up aside from the profile pictures. I need to unblock the domain they reside on.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The article is a bit of a slippery slope. If abused anything can lead to problems. Facebook and any other internet site is no different. I use facebook for 10 to 15 minutes per day and feel that I actually have many relationships that are stronger because of the site.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    right click > properties on the profile pictures > url

All the other pictures in Facebook show up aside from the profile pictures. I need to unblock the domain they reside on.
    http://profile.ak.facebook.com

so just unblock http://*.facebook.com
  • BigLouBigLou Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »

That's what it pretty much is, facebook without all the bells and whistles. I think its worthless but people predict its going to get more and more popular and possibly overtake FB.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I find it funny that if you go to a job interview, most employers now use your social networking sites to make candidate selection choices on top of other information gathered from the interview and your resume.

So if you have pictures of you drinking with ya buddies in ya swimming trunks or other information that could possibly bestow doubt in the employer mind that you are irresponsible in your personal life regardless of your professional life and whats on your resume then chances are they wont hire you... Pretty cool huh?

I personally learnt my lesson with this as it cost me a job in the past, so its best to have your social network sites and profiles private.

Also Google your name, email address on ya resume and screen names possibly tied to that email address so you can see what information potential employers find out about you.

But ultimately I'll agree with this report, social networking sites are too addictive and time wasting when you can be icon_study.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    mgeorge wrote: »
    I find it funny that if you go to a job interview, most employers now use your social networking sites to make candidate selection choices on top of other information gathered from the interview and your resume.

So if you have pictures of you drinking with ya buddies in ya swimming trunks or other information that could possibly bestow doubt in the employer mind that you are irresponsible in your personal life regardless of your professional life and whats on your resume then chances are they wont hire you... Pretty cool huh?

I personally learnt my lesson with this as it cost me a job in the past, so its best to have your social network sites and profiles private.

Also Google your name, email address on ya resume and screen names possibly tied to that email address so you can see what information potential employers find out about you.

But ultimately I'll agree with this report, social networking sites are too addictive and time wasting when you can be icon_study.gif

Yah, your social networking site has become just about as important as your resume these days.
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    I agree completely to go away from facebook and other social networks, for me they are the primary source of disruption of personality for the people, expecially for the teen agers, already passing too much time in Internet disrupts some way our personality, but loosing too much time on those "social networks" is the best way to get themselves crazy. That is for me.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Social Networking sites have just become a self-esteem booster.
    The end.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
    There are pros and cons, but regardless social networking sites are here to stay. And I think the only thing holding it back from becoming as common as having an email address in a few years is that there are going to be more and more of these sites coming out to compete with one another.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we had alcoholic, workoholic, now facebookoholic
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    we had alcoholic, workoholic, now facebookoholic
    Strangely enough, I fall under all three categories.

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I fall under all three categories.

I doubt you would have any certifications or the ability to type a complete sentence if you truly where the first one.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
This discussion has been closed.