offensive-security courses

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey,

Has anyone taken a course from offensive-security? I've been looking at this site for a while and I couldn't really find anything on the boards about this site. I just don't know if it would be worth my money. I won't be working on my Security+ until later on because I need it for my Masters of Science in Information Assurance and I have to take Security+ within three years of starting MSIA.
Just incase if anyone is wondering....

Here's the site:

http://www.offensive-security.com/training.php
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just got my admissions form a couple of days ago icon_cool.gif

I probably won't have time to do it for a few months, but it's definitely on my list.

Sexion08 talked about the actually exam a little, but that's pretty much all I recall seeing mentioned about it: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=261385#261385

What's your background? You're not going to get anything out of it if your skills aren't up to the appropriate level.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    In addition to sexion's post these posts on the ethical hacker network should be useful http://tinyurl.com/56xgf5
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik

I don't have much of a background. I've done repairs on computers/laptops and home networking.
    I have taken a LAN,WAN, and Unix (CLI) class. I've been using Linux for a few years and I think I might somewhat have an understanding. I know that I need to study for tcp/ip more.
    I'm still trying to figure out if I will be able to take the course or not. I was looking at the C|EH but I'm not anywhere near security for Information Technology. I might be wrong but I'm kinda looking at to help me with network security and give me a starting position. This course might also help me with my network security degree. I guess I could say that I'm just trying to figure this out and see which ways I can go.

shednik

Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out and see whats up.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The OSCP is well beyond the CEH, if that helps put it in perspective for you. It is by no means an introductory certification. Security+ is the best place to start.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sweet. Thanks for the info.
    Booya!!
  • Uchiha SasukeUchiha Sasuke Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does this certification require recertification ?

I didn't see anything about that question.

Thanks.
    ;)
  • Uchiha SasukeUchiha Sasuke Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Exam Details:

Questions: 4 - 5 challenges
    Time: 24 Hours
    Passing Score: 75%
    Format: online, practical hacking challenge in an unfamiliar environment
    Cost: $50 - 80.00 (Does not include course)
    Other Requirements: Offensive Security 101 course required for exam try
    Renewal: None.

So there is no renewal :)
    ;)