2 months to go for JNCIP lab

zrchengzrcheng Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is the Sybex JNCIP book enough?

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zrcheng wrote: »
    Is the Sybex JNCIP book enough?

I doubt it if you are doing a practical exam. Speak to Aldur about it.
  • zoidbergzoidberg Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JNCIP book and some time playing on the devices should suffice. The JNCIP book is excellent and will cover most everything you need to learn. But make sure you're familar with working on their routers as speed and precision are key.
    Also... if you've attended any of Juniper's classes or have access to their student guides and lab guides, those are good too. Advanced Juniper Networks Routing and Advanced Policy are the two courses you would want to focus on. You can skip the MPLS and MCAST from ANJR. Or, do those too as it can't hurt. Just won't be needed for the JNCIP.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I agree with zoidberg, the sybex JNCIP book is enough as long as you have some routers/olives to play with and any training classes that you can attend will also be helpful.

When I studied for the JNCIP I just used the book and a few olives that I built and ran through the labs over and over again until they were second nature for me. I've seen ppl who have just studied the book and failed it miserably, you need the practical experience to take the lab practical.

If you have olives or access to routers to play on my advice would be to read the book 2 or 3 times and then run through each lab, in the body of each chapter and the end of each chapter it least 10 times.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • zrchengzrcheng Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks and i do have olive and some J-router, I will try to do the book as many times as i can : )
    thanks and i do have olive and some J-router, I will try to do the book as many times as i can : )

how many olives and j router's do you have, if you don't have enough you can split your olives into logical routers. When I was studying for the IP I used 3 olives sliced into logical routers for all 13 or 12 I needed, 7 inside and 5 or 6 outside, can't really remember.

if you need any help setting the olives up into logicals let me know and I can tell you how to do it.

-Bender
    I have 2 olive and 2 J, I am using logical router on the Olive. when can not monitor traffic on the olive, I will use J. I guess those device are enough for JNCIP, but I am not sure if enough for JNCIE lab. a lot of stuff in JNCIE lab.
    sweet, 2 olives and 2 j's should be enough if you split the olives into to logics like you have. Just know those labs forwards and backwards, there'll be questions you may get that are only mentioned once or twice in the book, so know it well.

As far as the JNCIE goes, it has the same amount of routers so you should be fine. The only thing to keep in mind is that you can't do such topics found in the book like mcast sparse mode, CoS, l2vpns, and l2circuits. But since you have 2 j's you should be albe to practice most things.

Anywho, good luck studying for the exam and let us know how it turns out and if you have any questions in the mean time.

-Bender
  • kingcobra.guokingcobra.guo Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi, zrcheng

i intend to take jncip exam ,april

my msn : king.kobra@live.cn
    so do you guys have dates booked yet? zrcheng, you're going next month? how are you guys feeling about it? ready to rock it? any concerns? where are you guys going for it? i only did sunnyvale, and it was a blast every time. anyhoo, hope the studying is going well.
    Passed my JNCIP lab, next target will be JNCIE :)
    Passed my JNCIP lab, next target will be JNCIE :)

Woot! Awesome job! How was the test? Was this your first time taking it? Was it as hard as you thought it was going to be?

-Bender
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulations zrcheng!!!
    well done.

now, its my turn to conquer that JNCIS-ER.

good luck on your IE track ;)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    thanks. Its my first time, and I think JNCIP book is the key.
    congratulations zrcheng!!!
    well done.

now, its my turn to conquer that JNCIS-ER.

good luck on your IE track ;)

I'm studying for the JNCIS-ER too and hoping to have it done by mid april. When are you planning on taking yours Rosonier?

-Bender
    hi aldur,

i had already delayed my target this month (march) - so hopefully my next target which is on mid april will be accomplished - the same as you :) .

so, i guess good luck to both of us ;)
    way to go zrcheng!! congrats!!
  • ScootDogScootDog Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just keep in mind that the more affordable J-series routers do not support logical routers. BTW, I believe that as of Junos version 9.3, they are now called Logical Systems. So we have Logical Sysems, replacing Logical Routers, and still have Routing instances with Virtual Routers, and Logical Interfaces, too. =)

if you plan on building an Olive, I would recommend using a quad NIC card. Not a 4 port NIC card, which a single controller with 4 ports, which will act as a built in switch. It needs to have 4 separate Intel controllers. You should see, if you disable the internal NIC, fxp0, fxp1, fxp2, and fxp3. fxp0 will only allow one logical unit, and makes a good interface to use to connect to external devices. You can have up to 15 Logical Routers (Logical Systems), per Olive box. i just use crossover cables to connect fxp1 to fxp2 and you can do quite a lot with it.

Cheers.
    ScootDog wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that the more affordable J-series routers do not support logical routers. BTW, I believe that as of Junos version 9.3, they are now called Logical Systems. So we have Logical Sysems, replacing Logical Routers, and still have Routing instances with Virtual Routers, and Logical Interfaces, too. =)

if you plan on building an Olive, I would recommend using a quad NIC card. Not a 4 port NIC card, which a single controller with 4 ports, which will act as a built in switch. It needs to have 4 separate Intel controllers. You should see, if you disable the internal NIC, fxp0, fxp1, fxp2, and fxp3. fxp0 will only allow one logical unit, and makes a good interface to use to connect to external devices. You can have up to 15 Logical Routers (Logical Systems), per Olive box. i just use crossover cables to connect fxp1 to fxp2 and you can do quite a lot with it.

Cheers.

ha, more affordable, J series routers are not the cheapest thing to pick up, although I do have 8 of them ;)

Yup, as of 9.3 logical routers are called logical systems. This change of "wording" was due to the new switches having a logical system just like the routers and calling those logical routers would just be plain silly :P

Olives are definitely the way to go, it will take you though all of the JNCIP and most of the JNCIE. Plus the ability of partitioning them into logical routers is huge.

It's true that you can have up to 15 logical routers on an olive but keep in mind that you can't have more then 8 fxp ports.... after you configure 0-7 it just won't let you configure any more, I've tried.... Even at that point multiple logical routers and share the same fxp port as long as they aren't sharing the same vlan on that same port.

Sigh.... only if J series routers had the ability to do logical routers.... :*(

-Bender
    share the same fxp port as long as they aren't sharing the same vlan on that same port.

and some note on that same vlan on the same port.

when i first try to build my first o**ve box using taps (not real NICs)
    - use basic unmanagable switch for single ubuntu NIC on bridge interface
    - allocated all the o**ves ports in the same vlan and guess what happens? loops ;)

so, the workaround is to separate each p2p link between routers on their own vlan :
    R1 tap0 - R2 tap0 = vlan2
    R2 tap1 - R3 tap0 = vlan3
    and so forth.

physical connection did not find any problem so far,
    but that BGP loopback peering just wont come up icon_sad.gif
    so its time to use real NICs i guess - but that quad-port is very expensive. dlink DFE-580tx-4 port 100mbps around USD140 on local store.
    so its time to use real NICs i guess - but that quad-port is very expensive. dlink DFE-580tx-4 port 100mbps around USD140 on local store.

Keep in mind that all NIC's won't work, hell most NIC's won't work, you have to find very specific NIC's with certain chipsets. It was a real pain for me.

Check out juniper cluepon for further details.

Olive - JuniperClue

-Bender
  • finalcountdownfinalcountdown Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kindly give me your email address. I need to talk to you in more detail.

Thanks.
    Aldur wrote: »
    I agree with zoidberg, the sybex JNCIP book is enough as long as you have some routers/olives to play with and any training classes that you can attend will also be helpful.

When I studied for the JNCIP I just used the book and a few olives that I built and ran through the labs over and over again until they were second nature for me. I've seen ppl who have just studied the book and failed it miserably, you need the practical experience to take the lab practical.

If you have olives or access to routers to play on my advice would be to read the book 2 or 3 times and then run through each lab, in the body of each chapter and the end of each chapter it least 10 times.
  • PerfectStrangerPerfectStranger Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how many olives and j router's do you have, if you don't have enough you can split your olives into logical routers. When I was studying for the IP I used 3 olives sliced into logical routers for all 13 or 12 I needed, 7 inside and 5 or 6 outside, can't really remember.

if you need any help setting the olives up into logicals let me know and I can tell you how to do it.
    hi, can you tell how to manage the serial interfaces in olive. i am using olive in virtual machine. is it possible that i can instal olive on some old pc? please do reply ASAP.

kind regards
    Have a look at the Sid Smokes web site. It's probably the best resource for building olives on old PCs and has information on connecting to the serial interfaces that you're looking for.

Sid Smokes

-Bender
  • junipengjunipeng Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□

nice guy.icon_cheers.gif
    "You got a dream,you gotta protect it."
  • powercharmepowercharme Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sweet, 2 olives and 2 j's should be enough if you split the olives into to logics like you have. Just know those labs forwards and backwards, there'll be questions you may get that are only mentioned once or twice in the book, so know it well.

As far as the JNCIE goes, it has the same amount of routers so you should be fine. The only thing to keep in mind is that you can't do such topics found in the book like mcast sparse mode, CoS, l2vpns, and l2circuits. But since you have 2 j's you should be albe to practice most things.

Anywho, good luck studying for the exam and let us know how it turns out and if you have any questions in the mean time.

Hi, It is my first post in the great forum of juniper .I have been viewing the really good info provided by Aldur and hoogen82 for quite a while ,though I haven't register any account till yesterday...

Thanks man ,you helped and helps me a lot in my understanding of juniper .

I want to build my JNCIE LAB environment , each olive for a router of the lab task (using logical router in one Olive can do lots of labs,but seems a bit less of efficiency for me .. just for me :) ,

and still ,Olives can not fully work out with the labs in the JNCIE books as Aldur mentioned above: mcast sparse mode, CoS, l2vpns, and l2circuits...

So I may need add some J-series or M-series devices to cooperate whih the
    Olives I have .

Hope ANYONE can put out a list for the least number of Olives and J-series or M-series devices I need to make the JNCIE LAB that can work out every feature .
    btw,I can install as many Olives as it needed ,cos I have lots of old pc ,now ,I have already own 7 olives )

Hope anyone can help to build my JNCIE LAB and hunt for the JNCIE tiltle with you !

thanks !icon_cheers.gif
  • hoogen82hoogen82 Member Posts: 272
    Glad that our posts helped out....

I am not an expert on olives... and the last guy to have passed solely relying on olives was yren...

l2vpn kompella doesn't work I believe but I guess Martini works.. Not sure which one doesn't work on olives.. but I am sure one of them works..

I guess for multicast cos and some other features.. an ideal number to me would be about 5.. the rest could be olives... remember j-series require RR license... but m-series don't... but M-Series need tunnel pic for multicast to work... So there are pros and cons.. I did all my labbing on J-Series.. I had about 13.. 7 for the routers in the book... and another 6 which acted as my external peers.. For practicing VPN I would just use the same 6 external routers for it...

Maybe Aldur or Yren may able to add more info on this...

Good luck on your exams..
    IS-IS Sleeps.
    BGP peers are quiet.
    Something must be wrong.
    hoogen82 wrote: »
    Glad that our posts helped out....

I am not an expert on olives... and the last guy to have passed solely relying on olives was yren...

l2vpn kompella doesn't work I believe but I guess Martini works.. Not sure which one doesn't work on olives.. but I am sure one of them works..

I guess for multicast cos and some other features.. an ideal number to me would be about 5.. the rest could be olives... remember j-series require RR license... but m-series don't... but M-Series need tunnel pic for multicast to work... So there are pros and cons.. I did all my labbing on J-Series.. I had about 13.. 7 for the routers in the book... and another 6 which acted as my external peers.. For practicing VPN I would just use the same 6 external routers for it...

Maybe Aldur or Yren may able to add more info on this...

Good luck on your exams..

Thanks man !!!
    I'll try to get some real devices to build my lab.icon_cheers.gif
    hoogen82 wrote: »

You can setup a L2circuit and have it come up but it won't be usable on an hardware olive. The reason behind this is that the CE facing interfaces require you to put an interface level encapsulation on them but you are not allowed to configure this on a fxp interface. I'm not to sure on virtualized olives but I know this to be a limitation with hardware(real) olives.

You can really get away with studying for the JNCIE-M with 2 j2300s and a few hardware olives.

When I was studying for my JNCIE-M I had 4 J2300s and 5 or 6 hardware olives. I used the j2300's as the PE routers that would be running L2vpns/L2circuits and used the olives as the P routers. I then would switch up the topology to practice other olive challenging topics such as sparse-mode multicast.

Ideally, if you could get 7 J series routers and use olives as your outside peers this would be best, albeit not the friendliest on the wallet ;)

-Bender
    You can setup a L2circuit and have it come up but it won't be usable on an hardware olive. The reason behind this is that the CE facing interfaces require you to put an interface level encapsulation on them but you are not allowed to configure this on a fxp interface. I'm not to sure on virtualized olives but I know this to be a limitation with hardware(real) olives.

You can really get away with studying for the JNCIE-M with 2 j2300s and a few hardware olives.

When I was studying for my JNCIE-M I had 4 J2300s and 5 or 6 hardware olives. I used the j2300's as the PE routers that would be running L2vpns/L2circuits and used the olives as the P routers. I then would switch up the topology to practice other olive challenging topics such as sparse-mode multicast.

Ideally, if you could get 7 J series routers and use olives as your outside peers this would be best, albeit not the friendliest on the wallet ;)

Thanks man !!!
    As U mentioned that "You can really get away with studying for the JNCIE-M with 2 j2300s and a few hardware olives."
    As i know so far ,juniper j2300 has two ethernet ports fixed on it when out of factory.

So,do you mean it is the topo like this to run l2vpn ?:

eth2-PE(J2300A) -eth1
    CE1
    |
    |
    ---Olive---Olive---
    | |
    | MPLS CORE |
    | |
    ---Olive---Olive---
    |
    |
    eth1-PE(J2300B)-eth2
    CE2

so we can actually do the L2VPN labs over this mixed devices ? As I found that in the J2300 datasheet, it seems that it need the license to active the second ethernet port ,because
    one j2300 only provide one ethernet port while the
    other one need a license ??

If it doesn't need license and it work,i thinks i will purchase 2 j2300 to work with my 7 olives .hope it work out fine for me .