Lucky I read this 2007-2009

SuffnutsSuffnuts Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just beginning to study for Net +, googled the test and realized that the new version is out, etc. So I pre-ordered the 2009 Exam Cram book from Amazon (I have the 2007) but after reading all the posts, may just cancel that, go full steam ahead and try and pass the 2007 test to get the cert. My employer doesnt care which version. Although I dont mind learning about updated technologies, I may be sabotaging myself if I try for the 2009 version.

Any other reasons why I shouldnt do this?

Currently have A+ and 70-270

Thanks
S

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    there's anecdotes about new exams being buggy and having kinks that need to be worked out...but I really don't have any evidence of that.

BUT with there being so few (maybe one?) books out for 2009, there's not a lot of resources to use. I always recommend using more than one resource for an exam to get the best coverage of the exam materials, and that's difficult to impossible with a new exam with limited study guides/books out.

My recommendation would be to go with the 2007 exam (based on the 2005 objectives) - there are OODLES of study guides/books to choose from and you can find ones that fits your study style/reading style best.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I recommend going for the 2007 version since their aren't to many books for the new version.
  • SuffnutsSuffnuts Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. 2007 it is!!
  • MCSA,Network+,A+MCSA,Network+,A+ Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about what year your cert says it's not important but since you have your A+ along with network+ satisfies MCSA elective, take 70-290 and 70-291 and you have an MCSA!
  • RiskblingRiskbling Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to be the slacker here, but lower passing scores for 2007 version icon_cheers.gif
  • amtt81amtt81 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about what year your cert says it's not important but since you have your A+ along with network+ satisfies MCSA elective, take 70-290 and 70-291 and you have an MCSA!

Where can you look online to verify this? I have my A+ and am going for the Network+ this week. So all I would need are the two test you mention above? I just want to verify this.
  • bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    amtt81 wrote: »
    Where can you look online to verify this? I have my A+ and am going for the Network+ this week. So all I would need are the two test you mention above? I just want to verify this.

Apply Your Credentials to Microsoft Certifications
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
    Thanks for the link.
    But in this link it looks like you still need to take one more core exam :

Please tell me if I am wrong, these are the core exams you need for the MCSA if you already have A+ and Network+:

70-290
    70-291
    70-270 or 70-620

my source
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Am I seeing this wrong, please let me know.
    Thanks for all your feedback.
  • PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    amtt81 you are correct, I believe the confusion is that someone replied to the original poster who stated he already has 70-270.

The A+ and Network+ will fill the elective requirement, but the client requirement is still needed in addition to the two core requirements. It is just that Suffnuts already has the client requirement.
    thanks for the clarification, sorry i missed that.