Desktop icons have background

kizzibilletkizzibillet Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, My desktop icons have background I went and uncheck the feature in My computer it did not work plus I belive it is a virus do u think?

also there is a machine that keeps shutting down, the user will be typing and then it just shuts down. whats up. Is it the power supply failing?

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    re: the desktop icons with background - what OS are you using? And what do you mean by "have background" & what feature did you uncheck? It's probably not a virus - this is something that just happens with most OS's - "behind" icons (usually under the text beneath the icon), it will show the color that is set to be your desktop background color. I've run into this with XP and I haven't found a good way to fix it yet, other than setting the background color to be something complementary to the desktop picture/pattern.

On the machine that keeps shutting down, it could be a number of things. My experience has been that it's most often the CPU overheating or bad RAM. Does the machine start right back up again after this random shutdown? Have you opened up the machine to see what the insides look like? It could just use some new thermal paste on the CPU & maybe a new CPU fan. Or it could be that the RAM is overheating and/or failing. You can use MemTest86 or the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool (both freeware) to test the RAM - make a boot disk & let the program run for a LONG time, as it sometimes takes a while to reproduce the error/overheating issue.

How old is this failing machine? It could also be a bad/damaged motherboard. If you see bursting/burst capacitors, then there's your answer. Time to replace the motherboard or get a new machine.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I had this problem once, it was a bit of a pain to track down. If memory serves the disabling Lock Web Items on Desktop fixed this problem. Check this thread for a few other suggestions as well.

How do I get rid of desktop icon background color in XP?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • kizzibilletkizzibillet Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    re: the desktop icons with background - what OS are you using? And what do you mean by "have background" & what feature did you uncheck? It's probably not a virus - this is something that just happens with most OS's - "behind" icons (usually under the text beneath the icon), it will show the color that is set to be your desktop background color. I've run into this with XP and I haven't found a good way to fix it yet, other than setting the background color to be something complementary to the desktop picture/pattern.

On the machine that keeps shutting down, it could be a number of things. My experience has been that it's most often the CPU overheating or bad RAM. Does the machine start right back up again after this random shutdown? Have you opened up the machine to see what the insides look like? It could just use some new thermal paste on the CPU & maybe a new CPU fan. Or it could be that the RAM is overheating and/or failing. You can use MemTest86 or the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool (both freeware) to test the RAM - make a boot disk & let the program run for a LONG time, as it sometimes takes a while to reproduce the error/overheating issue.

How old is this failing machine? It could also be a bad/damaged motherboard. If you see bursting/burst capacitors, then there's your answer. Time to replace the motherboard or get a new machine.

Thanks alot I am very new to technician work but love it. so if I aske questions that sound dumb or too balsic please bear with me I will get back to you as soon as possible
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I assume you're talking about the background color on the text underneath your icons. This has to do with the image format of your wallpaper. I don't remember which formats cause this, I think GIF and BMP. JPEG and PNG wallpapers shouldn't cause this if my memory serves me right.

You could also try resetting the theme on the first tab. Change it from Custom Theme to one of the standard ones like Windows XP. That will also clear the problem.
  • kizzibilletkizzibillet Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The desktop Icons
    the OS is XP and the icons text have a blue background that i cant take off. went on the desktop properties and uncheck the feature "use drop shadows.." in my computer

RANDOM SHUTDOWN
    I am a junior technicain and I love the technology field and I wnat to be good like the guys. I did open and it is a dell GX280. The RAM in which u speak is it a the Memory? Machine is around 5 years old and what do u mean about bursting capacitors? in reagrds to the site to check memory i will do now
    awaiting ur reply
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The RAM in which u speak is it a the Memory?
    awaiting ur reply

Not to be mean, but if you don't know what RAM is and you are a junior-level technician, you really need to brush up on your skills/terminology.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)