Missed space

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Could you help me fix following issue please?

I have problem with disk space on one of my servers. HDD is 150 GB size (d: drive), 50GB is taken by files (I ticked options “Show hidden files and folders” and “Hide protected operation system” and I have full access to all folders) and I can see only 45 GB free space.
How I can find file/files which take over 50GB of my HDD?

Kind Regards

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I have a feeling if you UNcheck "hide protected operating system files" in folder options, you'll see where that extra space is going. I wouldn't recommend keeping it unchecked, as it makes it easier to accidentally delete/move/change something critical, but doing it temporarily will help you track down where that "lost" space is.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Is it 150GBs of formatted space, or do you have a 150GB hard drive? Remember there is overhead for formatting, etc.

You also have to understand there are inefficiencies in file systems related to block size.

Here's a free utility to help you figure out where the space is being taken in the meantime...

Old SpaceMonger v1.x
    Good luck to all!
  • PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    skrpune wrote: »
    I have a feeling if you UNcheck "hide protected operating system files" in folder options, you'll see where that extra space is going. I wouldn't recommend keeping it unchecked, as it makes it easier to accidentally delete/move/change something critical, but doing it temporarily will help you track down where that "lost" space is.

Many thanks for your reply.

Obviously "hide protected operating system files" was un ticked when I counted free space. It would be too easyicon_smile.gif
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Is it 150GBs of formatted space, or do you have a 150GB hard drive? Remember there is overhead for formatting, etc.

You also have to understand there are inefficiencies in file systems related to block size.

Here's a free utility to help you figure out where the space is being taken in the meantime...

Old SpaceMonger v1.x

Many thanks for your reply.

It is formated spce,

My allocation unit is 4096 bytes and I have around 850 000 files. I multiplied it and it is maximum 3.2 GB lost space – still 47GB lost.

Kind Regards
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Do you have any proprietary backup software running on that machine? For example, we have a backup software that takes a snapshot of the computer and actually makes a hidden partition on the drive and stores the snapshot. The advantage of this is you can boot to a mini recovery OS and restore the machine to that state.

The problem with something like this is you can't find where that missing space went but its in that "hidden" partition. Anyways, just a thought.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    may be there are files that you do not have access to, are you logging in as a local admin?

If you do not have read access to the files/folders the size of the folder will always be 0

by the way, Space Monger looks like a very old version of SequoiaView

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven: Info
    Many thanks for your help.

It was subfolder folder that I had no rights. I didn’t expect something like that as I was Enterprise Administrator, but finally I found iticon_smile.gif

Once again thanks for your help.