Options

Funny tid bit about Cisco, Linux

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I was doing some research on commercial Linux devices and found something interesting:
Worldwide Printing System - Cisco, a $21 billion maker of routers that tie the Internet together, signed a major agreement with Microsoft regarding support for Active Directory. As part of that deal, Cisco management declared Cisco an "all Microsoft" company.

Unfortunately, Cisco's IT staff couldn't get network printing services to work right through NT servers (and you can't say Cisco engineers don't understand networking, now, can you?). Cisco's worldwide printing services now run on Linux.

Some Companies Using Linux

I don't know how old the article is but I just found it funny.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The Linux Journal article cited on your link is from October 1998.

Linux Print System at Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco's world-wide printing switched to Linux before MS Active Directory was even released - looks like the page is combining two articles.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    I know that Cisco's new callmanagers run on Linux now. Its actually a pretty sweet setup. There is no OS overhead whatsoever.......AND they are partioned as such so that you can upgrade to the newest version on an empty bootable partion so that if something wasn't setup right you can restart right back to your exsisting callmanager version without having to have phone system down time. Pretty cool actually...........
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Claymoore wrote: »
    The Linux Journal article cited on your link is from October 1998.

Linux Print System at Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco's world-wide printing switched to Linux before MS Active Directory was even released - looks like the page is combining two articles.

Sheesh, they don't kid around when they leave Linux old info laying around. I guess when they mentioned NT it kinda gave it away.

I was wondering if anyone would come up and defend MS but I guess everything was a little sketchy for MS back in those days(has flashbacks of being frustrated with Windows 98 in my pre-teen days).
  • Options
    Angie1313Angie1313 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lol don't expect me to stand up for MS! no way...
    Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't have my Microsoft certification...:)