New heatsink for my PC

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi Guys

Gonna be overclocking my E4500 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo soon so I thought I would get prepared so I splashed out on a better heat sink and jesus did i get a surprise when i took it out the box, almost the same size as my PSU

Next is the OCZ memory cooler, @ £11 its got to be worth it

Has anyone overclocked a P5NE-SLi board, I dont know the first thing about it so I will need to do some research first, a list of prefered settings would be a massive time saver if anyone has any

Thanks in advance

Lee H

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lee H wrote: »
    Next is the OCZ memory cooler, @ £11 its got to be worth it
    No. Memory doesn't need any special fans. If it requires a heatspreader then it'll come with one from the factory.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    My memory is also OCZ, has a metal heatspreader on both sides, PC2 6400 OCZ Gold Gamers edition, 4 X 2 Gig

Maybe it doesnt get hot now but what about when I overclock it, will better cooling make it safer to do it

Without knowing if its going to damage my hardware I would rather be sure its as cool as can be
    My memory is also OCZ, has a metal heatspreader on both sides, PC2 6400 OCZ Gold Gamers edition, 4 X 2 Gig

Maybe it doesnt get hot now but what about when I overclock it, will better cooling make it safer to do it

Without knowing if its going to damage my hardware I would rather be sure its as cool as can be
    Assuming you don't start increasing the supply voltage to the memory, you don't need the fan. If you need the fan to make the overclock stable then you're running way too close to the edge anyway and once you're in summer you'll have issues. The airflow from the case fans and CPU fan should be all the cooling your memory needs.

Fans for memory aren't useful but its cheap so up to you really.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    They have watercooling blocks for memory if you really wanted to go crazy. I'd doubt you would though considering you just bought a new cpu heatsink.
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    They have watercooling blocks for memory if you really wanted to go crazy. I'd doubt you would though considering you just bought a new cpu heatsink.

So can i only overclock my ram when i have a water cooling system, surley if i increase the voltage to the ram to make it faster then i will need some cooling on it, not water cooling though

Has anyone ever made memory run faster
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    So can i only overclock my ram when i have a water cooling system, surley if i increase the voltage to the ram to make it faster then i will need some cooling on it, not water cooling though

Has anyone ever made memory run faster

You don't necessarily NEED watercooling to OC your ram but if you're ocing it high enough it's the best solution.
    There is a limit on how far you can push your memory in regard to speed and voltage. Increasing the cooling will only help to a certain extent.
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    You don't necessarily NEED watercooling to OC your ram but if you're ocing it high enough it's the best solution.
    Full immersion of the system into Fluorinert would be the best solution.

Is Price(Slower system) + Price(Your time) + Price(Potentially unreliable system) + Price(Extra cooling/addons) < Price(Faster stock system)?

Remember that the gains from overclocking have to be taken in relation to what is the base specification. For example a 100MHz overclock would be great a few years back but now when most CPUs are over 2GHz, that is only a 5% overclock at most. Most of the time, you won't notice the gain unless you're running a benchmarking program.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I think your North Bridge will hold you back before you would need to worry about memory.
    I would prefer to cool down my North Bridge too is there anything I could buy apart from a massive water cooling system which is way out my price range

My CPU is only 2.2Ghz, it would be OK to run it at 3.0Ghz with increased memory speed

Anyone done this type of thing, I am still yet to sit down for hours and learn this stuff but if I need to buy more kit then I will hold off till I have bought it
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I gotta ask, and I overclock...

Why would you spend money on a heatsink when you can pop a quadcore on that mobo?

Think about the money you're gonna spend on heatsinks for your CPU and northbridge, and check the prices of say a Q6600 before you spend money. Not saying which one is right, but definitely look into it.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPhysco:

@ present a Q8200, 2.33GHz 1333FSB is £145.99

My E4500 cost £75 1 year ago, the heat sink i bought for my CPU cost £11 and the OZC XTC is also £11, an additional fan for my NB will be even less

I cant afford £150 to upgrade my CPU but i can spend a small amount and get a boost in performance

I have found a few websites that give example setting for my P5NE-SLI board but first I need to cover myself with memory fan and NB fan
  • Angie1313Angie1313 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    I gotta ask, and I overclock...

Why would you spend money on a heatsink when you can pop a quadcore on that mobo?

Think about the money you're gonna spend on heatsinks for your CPU and northbridge, and check the prices of say a Q6600 before you spend money. Not saying which one is right, but definitely look into it.

That crossed my mind too.
    Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't have my Microsoft certification...:)