Top Laptop Issues

SEMSEM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, I have to write an article that included the top 20 most popular laptop issues. This can be general or brand specific. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Comments

• KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    In my experience.

Keyboards + Mouse Pads (water/drink damage)
    Dead Battery/Dying PowerSupply
    Overheating/HeatSink/Processor
    LCD Monitor

thats as far as it goes for hardware.

Software.. well.. thats pretty much the same for everyone..

"spyware is a hell of profit" icon_lol.gif
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Back from when I was doing tech support I would say that the number one call specific to laptops would be dead batteries after about a year. Closely followed by fried power supplies and destroyed power connections on the chassis/motherboard.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    harddrives going bad is a big issue. and spyware/viruses... lonely people in hotel rooms.
  • SEMSEM Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses so far, If you have a simple solution to go with the problem that would be helpful also.

Thanks again!
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Keyboard doesnt work "like it used to." Open it up to find enough crumbs to bake a cake. Yep eating over the keyboard while surfing is a no no.

People trying to cram a network cable into a modem jack.
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    keys pop off..

idiots leaving the laptop on bed so it can't breath and then losing solders
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    People dropping it or accidentally smashing it against a hard object when it is in a bag.
    The LCD cracking or the backlight dying.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Chargers tend to die often too. Sometimes the battery could be completely fine but won't retain a charge because the charger crapped out. I think that may be specific to Dell Inspirons though (man those things are terrible!)
  • neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    I would say chargers, hard drives and screens are the top 3.
    1's and 0's
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Some popular issues I used to see back in the days of being a PC tech:

Failed ports, such as USB or card readers
    Failed video chipset
    Failed or damaged power port
    (All of these, of course, require the motherboard to be replaced. Or, at the very least, a refurb-visit to the manufacturer.)

Other things we'd see a lot was failing optical drives, dead hard drives, layers and layers of dust inside the casing, failed/cracked displays, display ribbon-cable coming loose from the mainboard, dead motherboard batteries, and dead power cords/bricks.

I spent a lot of time taking apart and reassembling different types of laptops. The most painful thing I ever saw was an old Macbook Pro that had been worked on by a "Mac expert" in the area. A lot of the screws inside the case had been driven halfway, and he'd actually "forgotten" a business card inside the machine. . . of course, the fact that it was jammed between the hard drive and the little mounting-cage you attach to the drive didn't help the overheating problem this customer was seeing. I had my coworkers and my manager sit in on a conference call when I chewed the guy out over the phone. (His phone number was on the card, after all.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.