Sybex vs. Syngress

anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
hey guys,

I am thinking of following a study guide to prepare for the Security+ exam. But I am really confused about choosing one.

which one is better ?

Sybex or Syngress ?

Any opinions from you folks would help immensely...

Cheers
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

Comments

• Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Anurag

I am also preparing for the Sec+ exam and so far from what i have found i have across many ppl recommending the SYngress over the sybex i have read the sybex and there are quite easy and a bit vague on the topic emphasis...

i am preparing with the Sybex and the Microsoft Security+ Book ( though)

i would recommend you to use the syngress and also the sybex jus a brief read should help you .......

All the best and when is ur exam planned.......
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you used any study guides previously from either publisher? I personally like the style in which the Sybex guides are written. I found that the test engine in the exam cram series were great and a number of the questions in the test engine were tougher then what I found on the test. So I felt more confident when I actually sat the test.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mix Singress, Sybex and Exam Cram 2.

Sybex covers the basic and lot of Certificates and some LDAP but it is weak with wirelesss and firewalls. Singress gives you more that the exams objectives but that helps you to go deep with the information (and gives you a very "real life" examples).

Exams Cram 2 has a very good questions like the exam stiles that gives you an idea what to expect.

I used preplogic and is a good resource.

I recommend you to read, read, read and read, specially cryptography (make your own table about the differences between then) and you will fine. Security+ is not an easy exam.

This is my $ 0.01
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I would recommend both if you can get them. They aren't cheap books but you might be able to find a used copy of one in good shape on the internet. I think you will find from the posts that those are the two most popular books and most people used both to pass.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • certseekerseccertseekersec Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any idea when syngress is going to publish their Security+ book for SY0-201 exam. It seems they will only publish it in the month of July 2009. Is this correct?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    impelse wrote: »
    Mix Singress, Sybex and Exam Cram 2.

Agreed, and the TechNotes, it's what I used and it worked well.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I studied both, but I was familiar with some topics before. I found Sybex book more brief and to the point, the problem with Syngress is that it goes into too much detail and I got lost and distracted many times while reading Syngress.

you can also use TechNotes, Wikipedia, and just Google whatever topic you want and you will find plenty of resources.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TeeDarling77TeeDarling77 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the Sysbex book better. For some reason, the Sybex books are always to the point.
  • certseekerseccertseekersec Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for all your response. I am a new user to this forum and it was my first post. I recently started gathering information about sec+ and came across this thread.
    I was really encouraged to see so many people are ready to help others on this forum.

Thanks again!!!:)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I'm jumping in here a little late...

I personally like the Sybex book better. It's easier to read and follow. I also used the Syngress book, which goes beyond the scope of the Security+ exam, which isn't a bad thing but is a difficult book to read.

The last book I used for this exam was the Passport book... The book itself is very lacking to use a sole resource for the exam.... The bonus tests on the CD that came with the book however, are the closest examples of what to expect on the real thing IMO.

Good luck!
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For this exam, I recommend you to read at least two books.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • tnelson6429tnelson6429 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used Exam Cram and measure up the first time around and scored 720. Then I invested in Sybex and found that it really put things into perspective....I scored 790 the next time (2 weeks after 1st). For someone like me (new to IT) I really liked the Sybex.

Basically, use multiple resources to ensure you fully understand the concepts :D
    1's and 0's