Options

ISSA Membership questions

I'm considering joining a local ISSA chapter. I'm also a student so I can get a big discounted rate in membership. However, I am just taking two classes. Does anyone know how the ISSA classifies "full time"? In it they say you have to be a full time student.

Also besides obviously going to conferences to get continuing education credits towards C|EH and eventually for me CISSP, is being a member of a local ISSA chapter look good in a resume?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mog27 wrote: »
    I'm considering joining a local ISSA chapter. I'm also a student so I can get a big discounted rate in membership. However, I am just taking two classes. Does anyone know how the ISSA classifies "full time"? In it they say you have to be a full time student.

Also besides obviously going to conferences to get continuing education credits towards C|EH and eventually for me CISSP, is being a member of a local ISSA chapter look good in a resume?

Typically full-time student is described at 12 credit hours or more per semester; at least that's how it is here.

Let me ask you this. Do you think listing ISSA affiliation would hurt your resume?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Look on the Web page of your local ISSA chapter for details such as what qualifies as a full-time student. If the information isn't there, look on the ISSA main site (Information Systems Security Association) or email them.

What "looks good" on a resume depends on who is reading the resume. If you will be going for an information security position then ISSA will look good. Anyone outside of InfoSec won't know or care what what an "ISSA" is.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    ISSA defines a student as full-time. The membership is $30 plus chapter dues. (Membership Types) I believe even as a regular member ($95 plus dues) the membership will more than pay for itself. I am a member of the Orlando chapter and I have met a lot of great people. It is a great way to network and learn some good things hands on through the chapter meetings.

Plus, it does not hurt to put on a resume. You can sign up for a trail membership or attend a chapter meeting as a guest for free to check it out.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Being an ISSA and (ISC)2 member also gets you a lots of discounts for events and other purchases. You can easily recoop from paying the annual membership fee. Anyone who claims that ISSA is a "$95/year magazine subscription" isn't making the most of their membership resources.
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Anyone who claims that ISSA is a "$95/year magazine subscription" isn't making the most of their membership resources.

Definitely. In the local chapter here its gets you free lunch once a month, free admission to several local security conferences, discounts on several others, and various bits of free schwag, plus the regular goodies from membership.