Taking ICND1 exam tomorrow.

AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking the ICND1 exam tomorrow. I'll post an update once I know the results. I've been studying since June of last year, so at this point I'm pretty much burned out on studying and ready to get it over with. I've used Odom's Cisco Press book, Matt and Angela Walker's CCENT Study Guide, Chris Bryant's Train Signals, and Jeremy Cioara's CBT Nuggets. For subnetting, I've mostly used subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online. I don't have a home lab yet, but I've used an old switch that my boss let me borrow and Packet Tracer for the IOS commands. I've also used this website a lot and it's been very helpful. I'm confident that I will pass, but still a little nervous. Anybody got any last minute advice for someone taking a Cisco exam for the first time?
CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+

Comments

• aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    AD227529 wrote: »
    I'm confident that I will pass, but still a little nervous. Anybody got any last minute advice for someone taking a Cisco exam for the first time?

Sleep well the night before the exam. Keep in mind you can't go back to change your answers. The exam may be heavily front-loaded, so don't be surprised if you have to spend two thirds of the time on the first half. Good luck!
  • surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    AD,

I know I made a sort of bullett list of things that I wanted to remember last night.
    This then allowed me to go over it again in the morning, plus read it in the car before I walked into the building. This just help get a couple of annoying facts stuck in my brain.

It actually helped me answer about 4 of the questions as well so was worth doing.

I actually found that I had 2 labs and a few simlets very early on (within the first 8 questions) so like amp says dont panic if you feel the first few questions have taken you a long time. You should then get a nice wedge of simple questions or drag and drops.

I also found that the very first question I took was about protocols for Frame-Relay which I might be mistaken, but I didnt cover anything on these for the ICND1. Threw me a bit, thought I had the wrong exam at first. Not sure if maybe they put in a few sample questions for future papers just to gage a result. I know microsoft do this.

One other thing I did for subnetting was before the test started (during the tutorial time) I wrote down the following at the top of the wipe clean card they give you.

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255

Just helps to not have to think about it when calculating subnets etc. You could even write down the first 10 powers of 2 for quick reference

Anyway good luck tomorrow.
    Nick
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Keep an eye on the timer. Get some good rest. Plan on the bar you want to visit when you pass. drunken_smilie.gif

Good luck mate! icon_thumright.gif
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Good luck!

Drew
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PASSED! The ICND1 test was a challenge, but I got through it. It seemed like all the hard questions were at the beginning of my test and the easy ones were near the end. My test locked up on me during one of the simulations, and I had to have one of the test proctors restart it. It didn't go back to the question I was on when it locked up, so I don't think I got any points at all for that sim, and I think the clock was still ticking while it was locked up. The guy at the test center said they have a lot of Cisco tests lock up like that. I hope this isn't a trend, because I still have to get through ICND2.

Thanks to everyone for posting a reply. This site has been a BIG help during my studies, and I don't think I would have passed without it. For those who have yet to take the test, here is some advice:

1. For my studies I used Odom's Cisco Press ICND1 book, the Walkers' CCENT Study Guide, ICND1 Exam Cram, CBT Nuggets, and Train Signals. I also heavily used this site and subnettingquestions.com.

2. Don't panic during the test! If you have studied you should have plenty of time to get through the test with time left to spare. Don't despair if you seem to get a lot of hard questions at the beginning.

3. I used a lot of practice tests in preparation for the test. You can find some good ones for free online. The Boson test that comes with the Cisco Press book is the best one I used. It was tough, but it prepares you for the real exam. If you can get past the Boson questions and really understand them, you should have no problem on the actual exam.

Good luck to everyone still studying for ICND1. If I can pass it, so can you! Now it's on to ICND2.
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PASSED! The ICND1 test was a challenge, but I got through it. It seemed like all the hard questions were at the beginning of my test and the easy ones were near the end. My test locked up on me during one of the simulations, and I had to have one of the test proctors restart it. It didn't go back to the question I was on when it locked up, so I don't think I got any points at all for that sim, and I think the clock was still ticking while it was locked up. The guy at the test center said they have a lot of Cisco tests lock up like that. I hope this isn't a trend, because I still have to get through ICND2.

Thanks to everyone for posting a reply. This site has been a BIG help during my studies, and I don't think I would have passed without it. For those who have yet to take the test, here is some advice:

1. For my studies I used Odom's Cisco Press ICND1 book, the Walkers' CCENT Study Guide, ICND1 Exam Cram, CBT Nuggets, and Train Signals. I also heavily used this site and subnettingquestions.com.

2. Don't panic during the test! If you have studied you should have plenty of time to get through the test with time left to spare. Don't despair if you seem to get a lot of hard questions at the beginning.

3. I used a lot of practice tests in preparation for the test. You can find some good ones for free online. The Boson test that comes with the Cisco Press book is the best one I used. It was tough, but it prepares you for the real exam. If you can get past the Boson questions and really understand them, you should have no problem on the actual exam.

Good luck to everyone still studying for ICND1. If I can pass it, so can you! Now it's on to ICND2.

OH Yeahhh. OH Yeahhh
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PASSED!
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Good Luck with your Celebration drunken_smilie.gif and future ICND2 studies! icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats! Good luck with the ICND2!