Options

login question

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
I simply enable telnet now when i try to log in remotely it prompts for a username:

I never configured it for username/password authentication

I simply configured telnet access. on the inside i'm just prompted regularly for my password.

What can be done? Or what has happened?
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Got a config to show us? We can guess for a while if you want, but a config would help us help you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Maybe you' telnet to the wrong router, the router that has connectivity to the outside that is why it is asking for a user prompt and when you telnet via the inside network it puts you in the right router that is why it is only asking for a line password. I guess you are using NAT so you need a NAT entry to forward all request to the correct router. Sorry with limited info that is all I can come up with.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kenny504 wrote: »
    I simply enable telnet now when i try to log in remotely it prompts for a username:

I simply configured telnet access. on the inside i'm just prompted regularly for my password.

Do you have AAA enabled? (search for aaa new-model in your config and let me know).

Elaborate on "on the inside i'm just prompted regularly for my password." If you've got NAT configured, kryolla is probably right.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    If you used the "login" command, you have to have a password created. Is that what you mean?

I recall the first time I typed "line vty 0 4" and "login" and was hit with some alert about telnet not working until a password was associated.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    kenny504 wrote: »

kenny504,

Which telnet program are you using?