A+ Certified now what?

SmoozeSmooze Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first post on this forum and I have to say it is laid out nicely and I've had an easy time finding the information I've been looking for. But now I have a question....

I recently achived CompTIA A+ status a couple of weeks ago icon_cheers.gif But now where do I go from here? I know only I can truley answer this question but I'd like some recommendations.

Here is what I like to do... I'm a simple girl I like to build, upgrade and troubleshoot PC's. Started as a hobby but when I was offered two jobs that I never applied for (someone just saw me and said "want a job") I became more interested than ever. But when the local computer shop I was working as a Tech at closed up I was left to find the first job that I could which was in a distribution center for a major electronics company as a general warehouse worker icon_cry.gif

5 years went by and I let my tech dreams disappear with it. After 5 years of feeling like I was trapped in high school again I saw a job annoucement in the paper for a help desk position... HOLY COW I GOT!!! I've been here for 4 months now and became motivated once again... so I went and got my A+ to refresh all my old knowledge and gain a little new.

I really still have my heart in the Tech land side of the PC world... what certification(s) should I think about now?

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey welcome to the board. This is a great starting place for all things IT I think. Only message board I frequent.

A+ is a good start, but you need need to follow the industry in IT to keep your paycheck growing. Vendor neutral will only get you so far. It's a Microsoft/Cisco world out there with Linux growin every day.

I'd like to see you snag your MCDST and CCENT to round off your knowledge. Maybe slap Linux+ on there is you have the time. Additionally, you need to know Microsoft Office.... no joke. Learn to troubleshoot Macros, embedded font issue etc.

After you have those under your belt I think you'll have a better over all view of the industry and can reevaluate your direction. (MCM, CCIE, RHCE etc)

To build up your experience base volunteer at a library or church for IT stuff. And join a local computer user's group in your area.

Recap -
    MCDST >> CCENT >> Linux+
    Volunteer >> Professional Computer Users Group/Club
    -Daniel
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Depends where you want to go and or want to do. Like the above users said, MCDST should be your next exam choice (well two exams). After that find a DST job (desktop support) job. Might need some more helpdesk experience though depends on your area.

I would hold off on the linux+ unless you are really into that stuff. As a tier 1/2/3 support person you really don't need to know that much about linux. A more useful cert you could get would be security+ or network+ which I believe both count towards electives for MCSA which would be down the path if you choose that route.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Recap -
    MCDST >> CCENT >> Linux+
    Volunteer >> Professional Computer Users Group/Club
    I definitely agree with Daniel333, going on this type of path will give you a rounded-out set of skills and an idea of what you enjoy doing best. I'd make two recommendations beyond this list, however. The MCDST focuses on Windows XP, the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician certification focuses on Vista, but both are for the enterprise. It's really a matter of which you prefer working with and what's in demand around your area, in deciding which to choose. The other suggestion I have is to continue on and obtain your full CCNA after the CCENT. You'll have a much better understanding of switches and routers, as well as a more widely-recognized certification. On the topic of recognition in the industry, (I guess this would be my third piece of advice,) don't be afraid to explore the server technologies. While you may have only worked on PCs so far, studying for things like the RHCE or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator will give you the kind of exposure that you need to move up to sysadmin type of work, (should you want to do that).

Good luck with your studies, and let us know how you're doing as you progress. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • SmoozeSmooze Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    haha thanks jimmypizzle83 and jryantech!