Options

new materials

bananamanbananaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know when new books and study guides will be available for the updated Server+ exam?

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I did a quick look-around, and all the Server+ guides offered still have a publish date prior to the announced upgrade(I think).

Server+ is not a popular exam for some reason, so publishers are naturally not in a hurry to print up a bunch of books and then have them sit in the warehouse waiting for buyers--it's the same ol' money game.
    They're going to update the big sellers like A+, Network+, MCSA/MCSE first.

I recently saw CompTIA articles that said that Server+ certificate holders had just reached 10,000 while another article said that Security+ had already reached 10,000, and the security cert is much newer.

I still think that the Server+ is worthwhile, especially if you're looking for something in the way of "advanced A+", non-vendor-specific certification.

If I were you, I would go to the CompTIA site and download/printout the objectives for Server+, buy a study guide based on the previous exam(the material is still correct, and most of it will still be in the exam structure in some way), study that guide real good, then go out on the Internet and find materials for the material that is not covered by the exam guide but is listed in the Exam Objectives. That way you can practically write your own exam guide and learn a lot more.

My favorite exam guide was the one by Elton Jernigan--New Riders Press.

That's what I would do. But then, I'm a stubborn old tight-wad, and would never try to find some kind of online classes or sets of CDs or videos that cover the upgrade because I would never spend the money. But I might, and did, spend the money for Transcender practice exams for Server+. These should be upgraded and will give you a very good idea where you stand after you've written your own exam guide.

Well, it's 5:00 AM and I'm starting to ramble. But, best of luck!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Is SK0-001 Server+ the current exam with the 2004 Objectives? icon_confused.gif
    Also what books are out for the Server+ 2004 Objectives?

Also i noticed on a poll these books had the highest % by voters, would these be enough for the exam with Transcenders?

Sybex
    30%
    The Server+ Certification Bible
    24%
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SK0-001 Server+ is the current exam but it is with the 2001 objectives. The new exam after they are through with getting the results from all the beta testers I believe will be SK0-002 with the 2004 objectives. I hope this clears it up for you. I took the SK0-001 maybe about three weeks ago and passed it. I would recommend taking the 2001 test instead of the new test because the books for the new objectives probably won't be out til mid-2005. I used the Sybex book to study for this test and also practice questions from various sites to prepare. Good luck!
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Thank you for your quick reply! Do you know when the New 2004 exam Objectives will start? How much time do you think I have? aleast 6 months to study for the current objectives? icon_wink.gif

Also I don't have much hands on or any server experience! icon_redface.gif But Would like to study for Server+ back-to-back with 70-215 to get a better understanding of RAID, Back ups, Disaster recovery, etc....
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion you probably have about the first few months in 2005, because I think they will launch it by february because the results of the beta will be in january. After they normalize those scores they will have a better question pool to make the new test go live. I don't have much server experience as well, but lately I have been cross training with a variety of techs that I work with and that's how I got the knowledge to pass this exam. The only reason I decided to take this test is because I have been studying for the 70-210 W2k and also 70-215 W2k server. It does help you understand 70-215 after studying for the Server+.