Cisco 1760 - the ultimate lab router??

Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have started watching the CBT Nuggets CCNA Voice videos this week and have been looking at what hardware I have and what I will need to build a decent lab for this as well as something that will be useful as I move into my CCNP studies this summer. CCVP is on my radar too so voice capability is important.

I have 4 2600XM routers with max memory. I have a NM-16A terminal server module, 6 WIC-1DSU-T1 (not V2) modules, 3 WIC-1T's, and a pair of NM-1E's. I have been playing with the Cisco Software Advisor and just noticed that while a bare 2600XM will run the latest 12.4T, if I add any of these modules then the latest I can run will be 12.3. These modules are older are not supported in 12.4 or 12.4T on the 2600xm. Nice.

I have a VIC-2FXO-M1 and was going to get a VIC-2FXS and NM-2V for it. Again, software limitations. Bah. NM-HD-2VE and VIC2 modules are what is really needed on a 2600xm to run 12.4T.

I got to looking at the 1760 on Cisco's Software Advisor and noticed that it DOES support all of my older WICs and older VICs (non-VIC2-VICs) and does it under 12.4T. Alright! The 1760 is a pretty awesome little lab platform considering this fact. The older modules are dirt cheap on fleabay.

Are there any downsides to the 1760 over the 2600XM? Any other useful lab platforms that won't break the bank? I still can't get over Jeremy Cioara's reccomendation of a 2801 with a AIM-CUE for labbing the CCNA-V. Who has $2K lying around for an associate-level lab router? (I spent my last $800 on my WLC for CCNA-Wireless. icon_lol.gif)

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The 2600XM and 1760 can't run the latest 12.4T. Cisco discontinued support for those and a few other routers awhile ago. All you'll get now is rebuilds of 12.4.15T if there are any bugs or problems. 12.4.15T9 should be released soon to fix a bunch of issues actually. The latest 12.4T is 12.4.24T.

The WIC-1T cards should work in a 2600XM with 12.4T. I'm using some right now...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    All your WICs and NMs should work in 2600XM with 12.4T actually.

The tool is listing the minimum version that will support that WIC/NM.
  • Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    All your WICs and NMs should work in 2600XM with 12.4T actually.

The tool is listing the minimum version that will support that WIC/NM.

Cool. I will have to give those modules a try in the XM routers here soon. It threw me a little when the 1760 listed 12.3, 12.4, and 12.4T support for all that hardware but the 2600xm only listed 12.3. I am just now getting the old parts of my lab back together and adding some new (to me) additions to it as well as some max memory kits.

I am a dedicated Software Advisor user, I was burned a few times early on in my career and use it like the bible.

I am happy (for now) with 12.4(15)T on the 1760 and 2600xm but I know at some point I will get frustrated by it. I do have an 1811w and IAD2432-24FXS in the lab so I do have access to something that runs the latest and greatest 12.4T if I need it. I just want something that run the older (read: cheaper) WICs and VICs without a whole lot of fuss.

So if the 1760 isn't the ultimate lab router, what is? I keep coming back around to the 1800 ISRs. A step up to the 2801 gets me CME, maybe Jeremy wasn't so far out in left field after all. icon_thumright.gif
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I've got an 1760 in my lab... not a bad bit of kit... I'm using it as a PSTN gateway with VIC-4FXO...

1800's don't support VIC's by the way... unless you get the 1867 or 1860 something... I'm pretty sure that's the Voice specfic bundled model.

I'm running a 1841 as my DSL router.... but looking to change soon so I can get SIP happening for my VoIP connection.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Fish! wrote: »
    I got to looking at the 1760 on Cisco's Software Advisor and noticed that it DOES support all of my older WICs and older VICs (non-VIC2-VICs) and does it under 12.4T. Alright! The 1760 is a pretty awesome little lab platform considering this fact. The older modules are dirt cheap on fleabay.

Are there any downsides to the 1760 over the 2600XM? Any other useful lab platforms that won't break the bank? I still can't get over Jeremy Cioara's reccomendation of a 2801 with a AIM-CUE for labbing the CCNA-V. Who has $2K lying around for an associate-level lab router? (I spent my last $800 on my WLC for CCNA-Wireless. icon_lol.gif)

I wouldn’t worry about using the latest IOS for the voice tests – the concepts that you are expected to understand aren’t new, and all of the NMs/WICs that you listed will work fine in 12.4.

I use an assortment of 26xxXMs, and 1760s in my voice lab. I like the 1760s because they have native DSP support and a higher flash capacity – but they are SLOOOOOOW.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pitviper wrote: »
    I like the 1760s because they have native DSP support and a higher flash capacity – but they are SLOOOOOOW.
    I never noticed how slow they are until I checked out the Router Performance PDF on the Cisco Portable Product Sheets page.

The Router Memory PDF is also useful for planning memory upgrades. And the Integrated Service Routers Quick Look PDF has a useful chart of the newer routers showing DSP and Voice Support.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I never noticed how slow they are until I checked out the Router Performance PDF on the Cisco Portable Product Sheets page.

The Router Memory PDF is also useful for planning memory upgrades. And the Integrated Service Routers Quick Look PDF has a useful chart of the newer routers showing DSP and Voice Support.

Thanks for that link Mike – EXCELLENT collection of info!! I just printed out the ISR sheets since I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve scoured the site for various tidbits of info which ALL seem to be available on that page!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is a good link - for instance I didn't know my 2691 had two AIM slots on the mobo

Thought I would have to remove the VPN AIM if I wanted to install a different one

Very cool
  • Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Spectacular link Mike, wealth of information. Thanks!
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I used a 1760 and 2620xm for my Voice studies. The 2620 feels much faster than the 1760.