Cable tester program?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
Is there a cable tester program for us poor / cheap folks?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Plug it in and see if you can communicate with whatever is on the other end? :P

Some NICs can do basic cable diagnostics and more advanced ones have TDR features but you'll still want a proper cable tester. No program is going to be able to do that.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Well I'm trying to make crossover cables and I'm not sure if the laptop is auto sensing it.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does the laptop or switch actually support auto MDI/MDI-X?
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    For all you Cisco fans out there...behold, the coolest feature ever :)

3560#sho cable-diagnostics tdr interface gigabitEthernet 0/1
    TDR test last run on: August 30 08:01:35

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status
    ——— —– ———- —————— ———– ——————–
    Gi0/1     1000M Pair A     54   +/- 4  meters Pair A      Normal             
                    Pair B     52   +/- 4  meters Pair B      Normal             
                    Pair C     53   +/- 4  meters Pair C      Normal             
                    Pair D     54   +/- 4  meters Pair D      Normal             
    3560#

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    hypnotoad wrote: »

3560#

Something like that I was looking for, very cool.

But I think I got it now, I had old tcp/ip settings from a couple months ago on my laptop from doing labs with it. I almost never use my Ethernet port since I use my wireless with it.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Talic wrote: »
    Is there a cable tester program for us poor / cheap folks?

Talic,

What kind of cables?
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    hypnotoad wrote: »

3560#

hypnotoad,

Which Cisco IOS version are you using on that 3560?
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    you have to run test cable-diagnostics tdr interface [type] [mod\port] first before running the show command.

Without running the test you will have no output from the show command...... as the device has to run the tdr test over the pairs... and remember it's for copper ports :)

and BTW - Port status must be Up,Up

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    A.P.A wrote: »
    you have to run test cable-diagnostics tdr interface [type] [mod\port] first before running the show command.

Without running the test you will have no output from the show command...... as the device has to run the tdr test over the pairs... and remember it's for copper ports :)

and BTW - Port status must be Up,Up

Yes...and also I believe these tests are intrusive so they will cut off your port's communication when they run, so don't break stuff :)