HP Bios passwords

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
ugh, so I've run into a real headache. My coworkers put a pair of passwords on my HP desktop(dc7700) and I can't get rid of them. I believe they are a power-on password and a setup password. I immediately pulled the cmos battery out along with the power cable and punched the computer button a few times to clear the power. I waited(even an hour) before reinserting it and no luck as I still get hit by a password. I found a yellow button on the motherboard which should reset the bios, but that didn't get rid of it.

I believe I managed to guess one of the passwords, as I was able to boot into windows. However if I attempt to boot into the bios, it will promt me for a password or two...or it forces me to reenter that same password when I try to get back into windows.

Looked up manuals for the machine and I'm coming up empty...anyone have experience with these HP BIOSes?
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    ugh, so I've run into a real headache. My coworkers put a pair of passwords on my HP desktop(dc7700) and I can't get rid of them. I believe they are a power-on password and a setup password. I immediately pulled the cmos battery out along with the power cable and punched the computer button a few times to clear the power. I waited(even an hour) before reinserting it and no luck as I still get hit by a password. I found a yellow button on the motherboard which should reset the bios, but that didn't get rid of it.

I believe I managed to guess one of the passwords, as I was able to boot into windows. However if I attempt to boot into the bios, it will promt me for a password or two...or it forces me to reenter that same password when I try to get back into windows.

Looked up manuals for the machine and I'm coming up empty...anyone have experience with these HP BIOSes?

For how long did you press the yellow button ?

To reset the bios you have to unplug the PC from its power and press the button for AT LEAST 5 seconds. Then after you plug it back in it should be reset.

Edit: If all fails : http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    You probably need to use the reset jumper on the mobo. Look up your mobo model on google and try to find a manual for it. Somewhere in there there's a cmos jumper and you just move the jumper over for 1 minute and then move it back and the pwords will be gone.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    aordal wrote: »
    You probably need to use the reset jumper on the mobo. Look up your mobo model on google and try to find a manual for it. Somewhere in there there's a cmos jumper and you just move the jumper over for 1 minute and then move it back and the pwords will be gone.

that is what the yellow button on HP motherboards is for .. the button is the jumper ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've reset the BIOS settings via the button before on generic HP SFF boxes. Didn't do anything special. It should wipe the password.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, I tried pushing and holding the yellow button...even for over a minute, but nothing.
    It seems as if the bios is being cleared, but the password is actually stored somewhere else...perhaps in firmware?

Confused as hell. Didn't see any jumpers on the motherboard aside from the yellow button.
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    Yes, I tried pushing and holding the yellow button...even for over a minute, but nothing.
    It seems as if the bios is being cleared, but the password is actually stored somewhere else...perhaps in firmware?

Confused as hell. Didn't see any jumpers on the motherboard aside from the yellow button.

^oh, and yes...I did remove the CMOS battery and power cable. I even tried booting up without the cmos battery, but it still prompted for a password.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'll have a look at the manual for the HP desktops we've got.
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Have you tried flashing the BIOS? I've tried this on a Dell that had a BIOS password and it worked great.

win2k8
    Don't know if I want to go that far. I just want to wipe the password.
    Finally got it.

There was a jumper, it was just cleverly hidden in the bottom right-hand corner of the motherboard, inbetween some SATA cables and LED power cables. The jumper was green and shaped strangely, so I removed it and rebooted to go into the bios...and success.
    I put the jumper back after changing my password.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Now go break their fingers for messing with your machine and putting you through all sorts of aggrevation.
    Familiar with the backdoor trick involving Vista's accessibility options? My coworker has a personal laptop running Vista, so...

;)
    Actually I got him back today by disassembling his HP laptop and removing the CMOS battery, changing the password to "never gonna say goodbye" and closing it back up. :D

Later I came back from a meeting and he just gave me a nasty look. I sat there with some other people and watched him pull the battery out. Major lulz
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    so is this some sort of ongoing booby-trapping, practical-joke war??
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Yes, it's been going on for a month or two. It started with some little rick rolls here and there, then became an all out war with him making changes to my registry prompting rick roll videos to be called when opening the command line, running apps, messing with startup scripts, making my windows background a rick roll video, scheduled task rick rolling, me exploiting the vista accessiblity button to gain admin access to his personal laptop, replacing the hard drive with blank ones, deleting his computer from AD, etc.

With group policies, bios passwords, etc we've managed to keep each other out. However it seems even the bios passwords aren't enough now. :D
    I had to hide my hard drive before going home for the weekend.