Options

Job Rant

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well at this point I am beginning to lose faith and now decided I will rant about it. Seems every says the American dream was owning your own home, but I always thought it was going to college, getting a degree, and getting a good job. At this point, seems like every turn I take leads to a brick wall. Been on numerous interviews and seem that my education is what has limited me. More potential employers have said "seems like your a hardware guy, you won't be happy here" or "seems like you focused on security and you won't be doing any of that here so you won't be happy" then anything else. No, what I won't be happy about is continuing to not have a paycheck and health benefits.

I've never been without a job since I was 16. I have cleaned up crap, throw-up, dealt with irate people pissed about everything from there being no popcorn to not having internet. I've fixed computer with software or hardware issues since I start high school. I've applied to helpdesk jobs and nothing that I couldn't handle (have not applied for any administration type position or the sort). Employers have said, "you're exactly what we're looking for" and then never call me. Had the joy of driving two hours for an 10 minute interview going over my resume (that could have been done over the phone) with them knowing how far I had to travel.

And everything seems to be a contract anymore. We'll hire you for three months, pay 12 an hour and give you no benefits. So I cannot pay my bills and possibly get hurt thus adding thousands in medical bills. Where do I sign up? To top it off I have a wedding that I am in and get to pay for all the things associated with that! Sorry, needed somewhere to complain....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    To top it off I have a wedding that I am in and get to pay for all the things associated with that! Sorry, needed somewhere to complain....

I feel your pain. Me and my fiancee are attending a wedding next weekend that we have to fork out cash to travel to, stay in a hotel, etc. Then in September we do it again when my brother gets married. Then in October I get married..and we're spending ungodly amounts on that + the honeymoon. In addition to that, we have bills stacking up between credit cards, medical bills (hers..I am military..she'll be covered once we're married but until then..), car loans, you name it. Just for good measure, throw in things like clothes, random stuff for the house, car maintainence, etc. And I have no pay increase in the near future..that's a guarantee, until I get out at least. Money is getting tight and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes.

Keep your head up and stay persistent. Things may always work in your favor, but don't give up no matter what and stay positive. It's hard sometimes but although the light is hard to see, it is at the end of the tunnel!..I think :)

BTW- Just curious, have you given thought to getting your CCNA just to open more doors? I believe if I were in your shoes (I also don't know the job market where you're at..), I'd get the CCNA knocked out, then focus on whatever else you wanted. I see so many job ads now wanting at least a CCNA. I saw a job ad yesterday that said "CCNA required, CCIE preferred"..hah..
  • Options
    Thanks man, figured I wasn't the only one out there with money issues. Weddings are a pain in the butt and I'm just a groomsman couldn't imagine planning any of it. I am pretty close to finishing up the CEH so I am just going to knock it out (though I have thought about jumping back to the CCNA to finish it). Figure two weeks and it is back on the CCNA train. Thanks again!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This wedding next weekend I'm just attending- not in the wedding. The one after that a groomsman, and the one after that the groom! Let me know how the CEH goes. I was on the fence with giving it a shot, but figure completing my CCNP and beginning on the CCIE would make me more marketable then the CEH. At least around here..although I find the CEH more "fun".
  • Options
    Well, failed it once with a 69% (needed a 70% life doesn't suck enough). Overall, I think it is a great intro to penetration testing. Gives a solid base with the basic and some knowledge of the tools you could/should use. I've just jumped into the Nm@p book written by the creator and I have to say that it is pretty good. I wish I would have read it before taking the exam the first time. He covers each topic in such detail that it blows my mind. My plan is to finish that and then finish one of the Exam Preps I have. Depending on how I feel then I will either take the exam or read Grey Hat Hacking Version 2 then take it. Setting my time line for about a month, hopefully sooner. But definitely before v5 expires...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff