Options

3640 router crash fixed w/ iomem, have a question

accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
Hey guys, I just got to experience my first router crash you could say...

3640 w/ 128/32 memory and NM2E2W was in a loop booting up saying "SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!"

A cisco solution had me remove the NM and if it booted up (which it did) to do:
conf t
memory-size iomem # (# is 5-50 percent of DRAM to allow flash to use, i set it to 10)
After i did that I powered it off, inserted the NM and everything is working now.

My question is: is there a default iomem value? I read that using the command disable SMART INIT so I was just looking for a little more info on the command default. I checked my other 3640's but i couldnt find it anywhere...

Thanks,
Dan
Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting. This 3640 was powered up and working prior to issuing that command? Why did it boot before without the command but now CAN'T. I would like to know what caused this behavior... icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    accely wrote: »
    My question is: is there a default iomem value? I read that using the command disable SMART INIT so I was just looking for a little more info on the command default. I checked my other 3640's but i couldnt find it anywhere...
    If you don't set the mem size then it will automatically calculate an iomem value.

What version of IOS are you trying to run anyway?
  • Options
    accelyaccely Member Posts: 101
    Interesting. This 3640 was powered up and working prior to issuing that command? Why did it boot before without the command but now CAN'T. I would like to know what caused this behavior... icon_scratch.gif

that's what I'm wondering too! Yes it's been working for a few days and it started while i was using it in a lab setup today.

IOS c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-10a.bin

i have it on 3 3640's
    Progress: CCIE RS Lab scheduled for Jan. 2012
    Equipment: Cisco 360 program racks