Need information about Default Gateways

OnurOnur Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all this is my first post here, I would like to say nice to meet you all here...!!!

I am confused about Router IP Addresses and Default Gateways. I know what both of them are, but still having problems to understand them well. I am new in Cisco world, I am going to an Academy course where our course material is "CCNA Discovery 4.0" and also I am at the semester CCNA1...

We are currently working with Cisco ISR or Linksys WRT300N, while entering default gateway and Internet IP's I cannot understand what's the point... Or at the other hand while playing with Packet Tracer 5.1 when I design somekind of a basic network, in one side of network I add one Linksys connect 3 wireless and 1 wired computer. At other side of the network I add a router (I know how to enable its ports whereas work somehow a bit with them "practised a bit") to the router I connect one Server where it acts as Web Server. Till' now everything is okay. The time comes for logically addressing them. At Linksys side think that I have a public address of (*144.22.63.2/16), at the Router IP Address I put some private IP Addresses (*192.168.150.10-20/24) with default gateway of (*192.168.150.1) I want to mention that I enabled the DHCP inside of the Linksys. But now at the Internet port side I am a bit confused, this happens also on real world, what to write?!

At the other side of the network think what the Server has a real IP of 82.122.44.4 and now what to configure at Router any clue would be very helpful. :)

Also thanks for viewing this topic and to ones who replay thanks 2x...!!!

- Onur

Comments

• amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    Onur wrote: »
    I am confused about Router IP Addresses and Default Gateways. I know what both of them are, but still having problems to understand them well...

We are currently working with Cisco ISR or Linksys WRT300N, while entering default gateway and Internet IP's I cannot understand what's the point...

I would say stick to the class and if you have access to the material and are motivated to learn, read a bit in advance. I feel the question you are asking is along the same breadth as "how do networks work?" or "please explain routing".

Welcome to the forums! There is a ton of information here, and many people who are willing to answer questions, as long as they are a bit more specific.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    So...what is the question, or problem?
  • AD227529AD227529 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your default gateway should be the IP address of the LAN-facing interface of your router. In other words, it's the IP address of the interface of your router that attaches to your local area network. Anything not destined for an address on the LAN will be destined for a host on the WAN, and will need to be sent to the router to find the path to the remote host.
    CCNA, CCENT, A+, Net+, Security+
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    First things first. Learn what a network is, the textbook definition is, and how to subnet! Don't worry about the hardware part of things until you can get those down first.