Whats the longest time you've taken to attain a cert?

DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
I thought I took too long to get my MCSE in NT - 2 and a half years or so but I've just trumped that by completing my MCDBA over 8 years. First leg was SQL 7 Admin in July 2000 and the last leg was just now SQL 2000 Design - just a couple days before the cert is to be retired. In between I updated my MCSE to 2003 from NT4 so I have the other pre-reqs out of the way.

Can you beat 8+ years in the pursuit of a cert?
WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSE and CNE....freaking seven exams and took forever to get it done.....
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Diminutive wrote: »
    I thought I took too long to get my MCSE in NT - 2 and a half years or so but I've just trumped that by completing my MCDBA over 8 years. First leg was SQL 7 Admin in July 2000 and the last leg was just now SQL 2000 Design - just a couple days before the cert is to be retired. In between I updated my MCSE to 2003 from NT4 so I have the other pre-reqs out of the way.

Can you beat 8+ years in the pursuit of a cert?

I obtained the CNA in Netware 5 in 1999 and completed the CNE in 2007 so I possibly have you beat by a month or two. From about July 2000 onwards I stopped working with Netware servers completely so there was never the impetus to get it completed. I decided to finish it in 2007 simply because it was now or never as the Netware 5 CNE was being retired. I have to say I rather enjoyed looking over the stuff again although my studies were somewhat rushed due to the deadline.

The CCIE is another ball breaker. I set about preparing for it in 2001 after I completed my CCNP but by about summer 2002 my lab prep was stalling due to work pressures and commuting. I read a lot of labs on the commutes but nothing beats regular racktime for lengthy sessions over a very extended period of many months. As that was not practical the CCIE got mothballed until late 2006 when I set about preparing for the written. Since then I had jobs that had less commuting providing a better window for regular racktime. Things have been a little busier on the homefront since the little one arrived in September 2007 but the studies are advancing.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can't beat 8+ years, but I've been on and off going to be sitting the CCNA for about 4 years. I've been working with the hardware in my lab and professionally for most of that 4 years, but I always get onto another track or have things come up. My most recent closest attempt was prior to the current exam objectives, but a job change meant working towards other things. Finally got back to beginning to study the changes in the new objectives since I still work with Cisco gear on the job and I thought I was going to pursue going down the voice track, but now everything is pulling me towards security instead. One of these day's I'll knock it out... just far too little time to invest into it right now.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    2+ years and counting for the BCMSN...

Passed CCNA in December 2006 and started on BCMSN soon after, but I still haven't taken it. It's not like I've been a total slacker since then - I completed my MCSE:Messaging 2003, EMCPA, MCITP:EA and will finish the MCITP:EMA - but I need to take the test this year to renew my CCNA.
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    4 months for ccnp and 5 for mcse
  • Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    4months to get my Security+
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 year for MCSE. I'm still in pursuit of the CCNP which I started last January on. I'm 3/4 of the way done (last test was ISCW in October 200icon_cool.gif. Just ONT to go, but with my current work required cert list, it'll be delayed. I have to upgrade my MCSE to MCITP:EA and pass the 70-350. I also had to take the 620 (Vista) so that ate some time.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    kctxau wrote: »
    51 years.

hahaha I got you beat!!! I am 63 and got my A+ 6 months ago :)
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Man, I think Carbon has it! LOL! You are my inspiration now though, just goes to show that you never stop learning or setting goals for yourself!

I worked for a company doing field service for all the major IT/Manufacturers, but wasted almost 8 years being lazy and complacent which relates to no certifications. Do I win anything for being a "slacker?"

Still kick myself in the rear for that part of my life, but in the last 3 years my Net+, Sec+, and now MCSA:Sec are done. Guess I am on a mission now....well, ok, my family is my motivator!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    motogpman wrote: »
    Man, I think Carbon has it! LOL! You are my inspiration now though, just goes to show that you never stop learning or setting goals for yourself!

I feel bad now icon_sad.gif That was a joke... I'm 24 :)
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    carboncopy wrote: »
    hahaha I got you beat!!! I am 63 and got my A+ 6 months ago :)
    Now I feel like a young whooper snapper (a smiley face is supposed to go here) Kind'a fun isn't it!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I don't think I can beat 51 or 63 years, but I did take quite a while to take my CCNA. I technically started studying for the CCNA in August of 2006, and I didn't actually claim my passing score until november 6th, 2007, which was the last day that 640-801 was available. I suppose you could say that the MCSA took from 2003, when I took the initial classes at my community college, up through August of 2006, but I didn't start formal studying for those exams until the early spring of 2006. That was about a month for each exam, (roughly,) while the CCNA studies went on and off for about a year; the last six months of which were spent doing some serious book-and-lab-hitting.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I sense selective reading in many of you.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    carboncopy wrote: »
    I sense selective reading in many of you.
    Selective reading, you say? icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You guys have got me beat. I only had a year between A+ and Network+, then I took the 70-270 in June of 2007 and just passed the 70-290 last Friday. I'm definitely gonna try the 70-291 before June of this year in case MS doesn't extend the Second Shot deal.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    It took just over 3 years to get my MCSE 2000 (squeezed in a CCNA in between) although I did upgrade it to 2003 a couple of months later as the upgrade exams were due to expire :)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    4 Months for MCSA
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I basically took all of 2008 to study for my SSCP and CISSP, and the extra study time was worth the extra learning I got out of it. I started prepping for the SSCP and CISSP in 2005, but decided to finish my Masters first before starting serious study for the exams.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    death certificate :D it'll take an entire lifetime to attain icon_lol.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems I will be doing the same too this year, i.e studying for just SSCP and CISSP later towards the end of the year. Initially I planned on sitting for the SSCP exam in May, however I could not register in time and by the time I took a look at the schedule last week, all the spots for the May 24th exam date have been sold out in the Chicago area. They still have some scheduled exams by the end of June, but that would not work for me as I will be out of town for pre-scheduled event.

I am now looking into sitting for the SSCP around August this year and for the CISSP in December ( JD's recommendation-- CISSP should be done around 3 months after your SSCP so as to benefit from all the studying from the later).I hope things will work out well and that I stick to may plan.

As far as slacking, I have been meaning to take the CCNA exam for years ( Since 2003) but had not been able to study consistently and sit for the exam. That would be my next goal on the list as soon as I am done with SSCP and CISSP. We are talking about doing this sometimes next year, and this should make me a 7 years slacker for the CCNA.

JDMurray wrote: »
    I basically took all of 2008 to study for my SSCP and CISSP, and the extra study time was worth the extra learning I got out of it. I started prepping for the SSCP and CISSP in 2005, but decided to finish my Masters first before starting serious study for the exams.
  • BigTex71BigTex71 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My longest is nowhere near those who can claim 8 years. MCSE took me nearly 8 months.
    A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCSE | CCNA

Currently working towards MCITP: Enterprise Admin

Current Title: Network Administrator

Actual Job Functions: Network / Server / System Administrator, Tier-3 Help Desk, Jr. Project Manager, and "The Closer"
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    8 to 10 months for MCSE is about right.... bootcamp (2x weeks) Bad.... idea
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn