In the beginning there was CCENT...

myqctechmyqctech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Approximately 1 year ago I took the CCENT, and barely passed. Recently, I have renewed my commitment to learning, and decided to finish the CCNA. A good friend of mine (Accely) pointed me to this site two weeks ago. Since then, I have been reviewing the different threads dealing with the CCNA, and preparing for the long road ahead.

I thought it would be nice to start fresh, and log my entire experience from start to finish in a single thread. I will be updating this thread to keep track my overall progress on this journey, and help others who might be at a crossroad and need direction.

First I'll start by listing my training materials:
Train Signal CCNA video course
CBT Nugget CCNA video course
Exam Cram 2 CCENT book
Exam Cram 2 CCNA book
Cisco CCNA 1 and 2 Lab Companion

I used the CBT videos, and CCENT book to pass my ICND 1. Since then I acquired the Train Signal videos, CCNA book, and Lab companion to finish off the set.

Next comes the hardware:
2 - Cisco 2501 16/16 routers - CablesandKits.com - 49.95ea
2 - Ethernet Transceivers - CablesandKits.com - 17.95ea
1 - Back to back serial cable - Ebay - 11.00

Each router has been loaded with the 12.2(8T) IOS. (took me the better part of Saturday just researching how to get this done, but I finally got it!) Instructions: Set 1 Set 2

I really enjoy networking, and would like to continue on the path to CCIE. Is there anymore needed hardware you would recommend to study for the CCNA, which will eventually be useful in the CCNP?

Comments

• blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    myqctech wrote: »
    Is there anymore needed hardware you would recommend to study for the CCNA, which will eventually be useful in the CCNP?

First off good luck in your studies!

On top of what you have:

You will need 2 X 2950 switches.

Another router, I would go for a 2610XM.

A cisco router (with at least 4 serial ports) to act as a frame switch, I use a 2521.

And of course the DCE/DTE serial, ethernet and console cables.

This will be a good lab for your CCNA - worry about the CCNP later ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • myqctechmyqctech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just purchased 2 of these bad boys... WS-C2950G-48-EI at $90.00 each...

Is the 2610XM, and Frame Relay router really necessary for the CCNA?
  • Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Frame relay is a ***** to understand without the labing.
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Welcome to the forum
  • myqctechmyqctech Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So blackninja recommended a Cisco 2521, will this transfer to CCNP?... What other options are available?
  • tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    myqctech wrote: »
    Just purchased 2 of these bad boys... WS-C2950G-48-EI at $90.00 each...

Is the 2610XM, and Frame Relay router really necessary for the CCNA?

You will definitely need a firm understanding of frame-relay if you are going for the CCNP and eventually the CCIE so you will need a device acting as a frame-relay switch whether it be a router such as a 2521 or my personal favorite, the Adtran Atlas 550. I would also start migrating towards 2600XM series routers at the least since they can run IOS 12.4