Backup Exec and System State

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
So we had a domain controller crash this week. Of course it was in one of our environments where we only have one dc. Also fun. We were running data backups using backup exec v12 (possibly 12.5). I know we had checked the system state option for the server. However, when the technician went to recover, it failed, and he reports that Symantec tech support says that you also have to backup the C:/Windows (system files), which just checking system state did not do. Does this sound accurate? I found this incredibly difficult to believe.

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    BackupExec works a little differently now, in versions 12 and 12.5. There is a licensing option to back up domain controllers, which you have to pay extra for. Doing the system state via BackupExec isn't enough to back up DCs anymore. If you don't want to pay the extra money, I'd say using NTBackup or Windows Server Backup on your 2003 and 2008 DCs is the best bet, and then just back up the location you dropped those files.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    Slowhand wrote: »
    BackupExec works a little differently now, in versions 12 and 12.5. There is a licensing option to back up domain controllers, which you have to pay extra for. Doing the system state via BackupExec isn't enough to back up DCs anymore. If you don't want to pay the extra money, I'd say using NTBackup or Windows Server Backup on your 2003 and 2008 DCs is the best bet, and then just back up the location you dropped those files.

That was the strange thing. I am fairly confident that we were using the agents. I should mention we were attempting to restore to a new server. Is that the kicker here?

Thanks!

John

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the last week year, IT budget is cutting like crazy,but the demand of higher performance/reliable/resilience/scalability are more than ever. It is time to teach those dumpaxx EXEC or CFO that don't understand that today business run around IT. The better or ahead on the game, the better chance that you will win the business.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I second this method, and is the solution I use. I also use this method for my MS SQL servers. I run the sql backup utility against the db's, and then run the BackupExec on those sql backups. This way if i have a thrifty client, I can get a solution for them.

Cheers!!!!
    E
    Utini!
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    slowhand wrote: »
    backupexec works a little differently now, in versions 12 and 12.5. There is a licensing option to back up domain controllers, which you have to pay extra for. Doing the system state via backupexec isn't enough to back up dcs anymore. If you don't want to pay the extra money, i'd say using ntbackup or windows server backup on your 2003 and 2008 dcs is the best bet, and then just back up the location you dropped those files.
    o.m.f.g.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is this correct?

I know there is an AD agent that uses the GRT technology to provide the ability to restore individual objects (whilst keeping AD online too I think), but I'm pretty sure I've recovered AD on a DC using a default system state backup using 12.0.

I'll have a check in the morning, you've got me all worried now!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    Is this correct?

I know there is an AD agent that uses the GRT technology to provide the ability to restore individual objects (whilst keeping AD online tool I think), but I'm pretty sure I've recovered AD on a DC using a default system state backup using 12.0.

I'll have a check in the morning, you've got me all worried now!
    That is my understanding as well. And yes, the AD agent is only required for granular recovery of AD objects.

If you read the OP, they actually were trying to do a restore with only the System State option selected and Symantec told him he needed C:\WINDOWS (for ntds/sysvol/etc, I assume). As far as I know this has always been required... and I'm a little confused as to what the problem is/was, or why people are under the impression that it wasn't required before.
    astorrs wrote: »
    That is my understanding as well. And yes, the AD agent is only required for granular recovery of AD objects.

If you read the OP, they actually were trying to do a restore with only the System State option selected and Symantec told him he needed C:\WINDOWS (for ntds/sysvol/etc, I assume). As far as I know this has always been required... and I'm a little confused as to what the problem is/was, or why people are under the impression that it wasn't required before.

I blame slowhand :P - I read his comment and discarded the rest of the post due to my state of shock.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    cnfuzzd wrote: »
    That was the strange thing. I am fairly confident that we were using the agents. I should mention we were attempting to restore to a new server. Is that the kicker here?
    Thanks!
    John

Just another thought whilst I'm here, and have read these properly :) Don't you need the Backup Exec System Recovery Agents to be able to restore system state data to different hardware from within Backup Exec? A plain system state backup will contain all the registry guff/boot stuff etc too which probably won't sit to well on completely different kit when restoring directly from Backup Exec.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i hate symantec and their bl**dy agent licencing. who has over £5k for all of them? I have got to buy some too.

Well, sorry symantec but ill no longer use your products if that is the case. you lose.

Seriously though, what are they playing at?
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese