Outlook 2003 acting up

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I went to install Outlook 2003 on a new computer in out office yesterday, and used the discs provided (Office 2000 and Office 2003 upgrade). The install seemed to go fine, but when we imported the address book and emails, we get the following screen. You'll see that there are a ton of extra mail folders that were not created manually. Something went wrong with the install.

I deleted Office totally, and tried again. Same problem. I used MS removal tool, and reinstalled, same problem. Also happened when using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalling once again.

We cannot delete these extra folders, that option is not available when right clicking on them. I am to the point of wiping out the laptop and starting from scratch using the restore discs.

Any suggestions to avoid this would be appreciated.

Comments

• arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's odd. I haven't run into that here (we're all Office XP, 2003 and 2007). Did find a few things you could check though. Go to Control Panel and then Mail and select Data Files. Are there multiple data files listed? If there's one that doesn't have a path listed, try removing it to see if that fixes the problem.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Check the path below to see if there are duplicate files or anything strange in there as well.
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Also, have you installed the latest Office SP and updates?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The list of PST files and folders is (at least on older versions. No clue about 2003) is in the registry.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They should be here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook. Of course you know to export a copy of the registry first if this all goes awry! :)

Found this on computing.net as well:

Make sure Outlook is closed. Look under the subkeys. You will find a few subkeys with the following name/value:
    001e3001=Personal Folders

Remove the subkey which contains the following name/value in addition to the above:
    001e300a=mspst.dll
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]